• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 106.50522102 ice machine issues

Ricksheets

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
A few months ago we noticed that the ice was clumping at the front of the ice bin. We could still get ice but there would be a cone shaped ice chunk in the front. Within the last two months, the ice now has some rust or mineral deposits in it. In the last few weeks, the ice is now getting stuck in the ice maker. We figured that out by a creaking noise - it sounded like the arm was trying to go up to pop the ice cubes out, it would get denied, and then the mother would start again to pop them out. This would continue until we moved it along. We found a thred that said to pour some hot water on top which would loosen the cubes up. Just today we did that. Within seconds the ice cubes slowly came out. We had dumped all the ice out of the bin before we poured the hot water on, and when the new ones fell into the clean bin, we saw the 'dirt' again. I guess there are two questions- what is the 'dirt' and what is causing the cubes freezing into the machine?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your photos didn't come through, try again.

From what your saying the ice maker itself needs to be replaced.

I have seen rust, and flaked protective coating starting to peel off and get broken coating in your ice glass on lots of these once they get more than 10 years old.

Here's the Ice Maker for your model you can order:
Manufacturer's Number: 4317943

Jake

Ricksheets

Premium Member
Thank you. I have read some other posts on here and thought that I would have to do that. From what I have seen and read, it seems to be pretty easy.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
FWIW: There's places on eBay and Amazon that sell these ice makers at a discount. They're made in China and only last a month or two.

Ricksheets

Premium Member
We received the replacement part and have attempted to put it in. I say attempted because it was a little different than the video. Our power seemed to not be the problem for the icemaker. We seemed to hear motor sounds. The power cord out of the freezer wall was not able to come out. We tried to reuse the same cord. IMG_2283.JPG But, I am afraid that is not going to work. It has been in for about 30 minutes and hasn't filled with water yet. The picture is rotated but you get the idea. If the cord is an issue and the water doesn't fill, how are we going to get that power cord out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't understand what you're saying.

You don't do anything with that ice maker harness that goes into the freezer wall, you simply remove(unsnap) the the plastic electrical connector from the ice maker head itself, then plug it in to the new ice maker head and mount the new ice maker in the exact same place.

Jake

Ricksheets

Premium Member
It worked. I was just worried for a few minutes because it didn't seem to be doing anything. Thank you all for your help! I would much rather replace a broken part then have to purchase a whole new fridge/freezer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Rick, good job.:)

Thanks for the update!

I would much rather replace a broken part then have to purchase a whole new fridge/freezer.
Ain't that the truth.:)

Jake