• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 106.51112710, freezer cold but no or little air to fridge

shilohtown

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello, I've got a Kenmore Coldspot fridge 106.51112710. I just happened to notice our fridge is right at 41F and will not go any colder regardless of going to a colder setting. The freezer is at 0F and seems fine. (current setting is at position 4 out of 5)
I seem to recall that air should flow out of the top of the fridge (from the diffuser I think) and when I put my hand up there, there is no movement of air.
Just looking for guidance on what I should check first?
Assuming it should be to check the fan at the back of the freezer?

We recently (week ago) lost power for 15 hrs... no clue if that would have any affect on this.

thank you.
Bill

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It is the air damper between the fridge and freezer regulates cold air flow into the refrigerator compartment to maintain the temperature there. The electronic control actuates that damper depending on readings from its temperature sensor. If it is not controlling it properly, there could be a problem with the temperature sensor (aka thermistor) or a malfunction of the electronic control itself.

You can see the damper used on your model (which also comes with the thermistor) at the following link:

damper_W11317276.jpeg
LINK > Refrigerator Damper Control & Thermistor Assembly W11317276
(replaces older #'s W10902070 and W11162435)

shilohtown said:
We recently (week ago) lost power for 15 hrs... no clue if that would have any affect on this.

There might be a slim chance but an outage or surge would usually affect more functioning like the whole control system etc. but nothing is impossible.

Dan O.

shilohtown

Premium Member
Thanks Dan!
I'm assuming though, before I go after that, should I check the fan in the back of the freezer to make sure it's even running?
I will say, when I put my hand at the bottom of the fridge near the vent, it feels like air is flowing from the fridge to the freezer.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
should I check the fan in the back of the freezer to make sure it's even running?

The air being circulated into the fridge compartment is the freezer air (0F). If the freezer fan wasn't blowing you wouldn't be getting any cold air in the fridge compartment. The fridge compartment should be able to get to that temperature unless something is stopping air movement.

You could check for a blockage in the air duct but for a blockage to limit air flow but still achieve a consistent temperature in the fridge compartment is pretty unlikely IMO. Usually it would get warmer and warmer until room temperature.

The freezer not getting as cold as it should might be due to a dirty condenser under the fridge or a frost build-up on the evaporator coil in the freezer. However, the fridge compartment should still be able to get down to whatever temperature the freezer is at.

JMO

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Maybe see if there is ice or something on the damper's thermistor making it sense an inaccurate temperature and causing the control to act incorrectly .

Dan O.

shilohtown

Premium Member
Hi Dan..... I have a very stupid question... I wanted to check the freezer back, just to see how it's looking. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the freezer shelves out. I'm not 100% sure if I need to remove the shelves from the rod they are sitting on and then remove them. Or do I take the entire shelf out with rods attached. I can't figure out how to do either, easily. I'm giving them a lot of force, and I can't pry them from the rods they are sitting on, and i'm afraid I'm going to break the shelf...
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

shilohtown

Premium Member
Dan - quick update. Replaced the damper control assembly per your recommendation. Made sure all vents were not blocked by food... it's now been a few days and fridge is sitting at 37F instead of 41F and I'm not on the coldest setting.
Looks to be running well and in a slightly colder range, which is what I was hoping for.

Thank you again!!!

Bill

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Glad to hear it. It may have been its thermistor's calibration fluctuating with age.

Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.