• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 106.51133210 fridge - ice maker issues

Bill_Proctor

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have two issues and I'm not sure how to trouble shoot. I have the service sheet and can put it in service mode but don't seems to be able to test any of the components. My ice maker thats in the door quit making ice, I have change the filter and verified that I have plenty of water pressure. How do I test the water solenoid? How can I narrow down where the issue is.
I hear no noises at all. I have unplugged the fridge for 5 minutes to try and reset everything.
My led lights have also quit in both the freezer and refrigerator area's. What would cause this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
For the ice maker problem:
Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet first for 5 minutes, then plug it back in, then remove the ice bucket and you will see a little flapper on the right side, tape the little door closed. Then check the voltage with holding the door switches in.

Look at the front of the ice maker module and locate holes "L" and "N". With your DMM check for 120 Volts AC.

If 120 Volts AC is present, try to force cycle the ice maker by shorting Holes "T" and "H" together with piece of wire. As soon as the ice maker starts a harvest cycle remove the wire.

If 120 Volts AC is present and If the ice maker doesn't start a harvest replace it:
WPW10251076 Icemaker

Force Cycle IM Test.jpg

Jake

Bill_Proctor

Premium Member
I'm not seeing how to take this housing apart without breaking a plastic piece.

Attachments

• icemaker1.jpg
    icemaker1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 19
  • icemaker2.jpg
    icemaker2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 19

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That white plastic cover on the ice maker, in your 2nd photo, just unsnaps off Bill.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now lets check for cut wires under the freezer door.

(click to enlarge)
cut wires.jpg

Lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the ice maker/and or auger motor to be dead. Remove your bottom kickplate grille, Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door, remove your kickplate and check for that first.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Bill_Proctor

Premium Member
I have checked the wire and so far I haven't found any broken or anything but at 5:00 am yesterday the ice maker started working and is continuing to work as of today. Must have had a bad connect or a wire shorted that I have moved. I'll keep watching it for the cause. Now on to find out why the led lights in the fridge and freezer have quit working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's good news about the ice maker working again.(y)

For the LED lights problem, you will need a multimeter to take a volt test on the LED light module, which is located in the ceiling of your refrigerator section.

Access that LED light module and WITH ANY DOOR OPEN check for 120 Volts AC J1-1(yellow wire) to J1-5(white/tan wire). Check for approx. 25 Volts DC across J2-1 (yellow/red wire) and J2-2 (red wire) WITH ANY DOOR OPEN.

Your Kenmore 106 refrigerator is made by Whirlpool.

Here's the LED light module for your model:
whirlpool-light-wpw10515058-ap6022534_01_l.jpg

Watch this video to lower it down so you can volt test it.

Jake