Kenmore 106.51183112 Freezing Over on Refrigerator Side

justinrsmith23

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hey everyone. New here and hoping for some help. I bought a Kenmore side by side model 106.51183112 used, have put too much money into it to throw away, too much money to keep wasting on techs, and hoping for some guidance.

Not too long after getting fridge compressor went out. Local company put compressor and both coils in it. Worked good for a bit, and at that point was worth the money I had in it. Then, the fridge side coil started freezing over and staying frozen (picture below). Company came back out, replaced sensor on coil, and worked until it froze again. Now, they are at a loss for what to do not being able to access Kenmore troubleshooting/repair manuals.

I’ve got a new fridge coming because I’m ready to blow it up - just hate to be a $20 part away from it working right. Don’t mind cutting my losses either though. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance. I’m pretty handy, so a diagram with part location is usually enough to get me into something and it replaced - I just have no idea about this kind of troubleshooting!

B2EC51E9-BDA2-47C2-81D6-F43F3C1BFAFA.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

The refrigerator section evaporator coil does not have a defrost heater, the evaporator fan that mounts above it should be running to keep it defrosted. Is that fan running?

Here's that refrigerator section evaporator fan motor for your model: W10451901 Motor-Evap

You can test the voltage to it from the control board.

P7-9(gray wire) to P7-10(red wire) should be 14 volts DC. Use your multimeter to see if you get 14 volts DC, if so and that fan is not running, then that fan motor is bad.

Jake

justinrsmith23

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. I’ll tear into it tomorrow, and post back. Should that fan always have 14 V going to it? I realize it doesn’t have a heater so wasn’t sure if the fan cycled on like a heater would or if it ran continuous to keep it from needing defrosted.

Thanks!
Justin

justinrsmith23

Premium Member
Couldn’t leave it alone without knowing tonight. Popped the coil cover off, plugged it in, and no fan moving. Tried spinning by hand to jump start it and nothing. Was just about to test the leads when I dropped the styrofoam cover with the fan still in it, and it started spinning. Has been on since. I’ll leave it on all night, and check to see if I have a frost pattern or a block of ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Justin, glad it came on, but make sure it stays on, usually when they are intermittent like that, and your getting the correct voltage to them, its time to replace that fan motor.:)

Jake

justinrsmith23

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake. Right now it seems to be holding temp fine and not icing up. I’m going to let it sit a few weeks on the garage and see if it does. Im kind of thinking maybe they didn’t get a good connection to the fan when they replaced the coils/compressor. Just to confirm it should run all the time correct?

Thanks again for all your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Justin, it says in your tech. data sheet it should run constant.:)

Jake

justinrsmith23

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I just went out to check on it. The temp had crept up, but wasn't iced over. I had left the coil cover loose, and as soon as I pulled it, the fan kicked on. It sounded a little rough, so I think your assessment is correct - got to be going out/bad. Too bad I got a new fridge, but at least I can swap that out easy enough and sell/replace my garage fridge.

I can't say thank you enough for your help with this!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
had left the coil cover loose, and as soon as I pulled it, the fan kicked on. It sounded a little rough, so I think your assessment is correct - got to be going out/bad.
Yes Justin, I agree the new refrigerator section evaporator fan motor would need to be replaced and that should fix it permanently. :)

Jake