FIXED Kenmore 110.28002012 sounds like stripped gear during spin

Smallblockfuelie

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Can I please get help finding the part number I need for a repair? During spin cycles the machine is making an awful sound that reminds me of stripped plastic gears. The agitation cycles also sounds off to me as if it’s working but not under any load/resistance. It goes through the entire wash process, but the clothes are soaked when it is complete. Before it finally gave up the ghost, the machine was making louder and louder noises during the final spin cycle that removes all the water. We replaced the actuator a few months back with a new one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its possibly the hub underneath the washplate, that's stripped.

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the washplate:
W10528947 Hub

I'd first check your hub to see if the teeth are starting to grind down.

The hub has screws that hold it in place, you will see them once you remove the washplate.

To remove your washplate, Watch this video below, wiggle the washplate while pulling it up.

[video=youtube_share;2l19ojF3pnA]https://youtu.be/2l19ojF3pnA[/video]

Look at these photos below of the teeth grinded down to smooth, then compare them to yours.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If your hub is fine, Take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams and see if the teeth are worn down there, If so order and replace that Splutch cam kit.

Here's the sputch cam kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

Video included in part link.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Smallblockfuelie

Premium Member
Thank you. I’m struggling with getting the wash plate out so I looked at the splutch cam. It has some wear on it, but isn’t slipping yet. I’ll replace both and this machine should be good for awhile.

Smallblockfuelie

Premium Member
I was finally able to get the wash plate out using a shoe string. I worked it down into the gap between the washplate and tub. When I got the string under the washplate it was simple to lift it out with the string. The hub is indeed stripped. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear you got the washplate up and found the hub stripped, yes its best to order both the hub and splutch assembly.

Let us know how it goes when you get them replaced.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the hub and splutch cam kit fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake