Kenmore 110.64852400 will not start

rflick

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My brothers 80 series Kenmore dryer today as well. He was installing a thermal cutoff and high limit thermostat and the two hot wires were touching somehow when he plugged the dryer in on the high limit thermostat. It arched and now his dryer will not turn on at all. any ideas why?

I tested his timer for him by setting the timer to 40 min timed cycle and tested connectors B-K, BK-BU, GY-WB and T-W. T-W have no continuity unless you turn it to the end of cycle

I jumped the T-W connector to check to see if it would start but no such luck

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually it will kick the dryer breaker OFF when it archs like that.

Did you reset the dryer breaker in his home breaker box?

Jake

rflick

Premium Member
Yes, I checked it. His is outside of his house. He has two breaker boxes. Tested the thermal fuse as well

rflick

Premium Member
Yes, I have that exact tech sheet it was in the console top. But I have no clue what he has done. When I looked the two tabs were almost touching and you could tell from the black marks that it arched. He said it was running before but had no heat. Now it does nothing and I hear not ticking from the timer and that's why I checked it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Ohm test the thermal fuse, Make sure you unplug or turn the breaker off to the dryer first before accessing and ohm testing it.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order, if yours is bad:
Thermal Fuse WP3392519

Here's the video on how to ohm test it: Thermal Fuse Ohm Testing Video

Here's the video on how to access it for your model: Thermal Fuse Access Video

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Did you ohm test the door switch? If so and its good, then remove the drum from the dryer, then get a cheater test cord(or old lamp cord) and see if the motor runs per a bench test.

Put your cheater test cord wires on--->Blue wire on the motor switch and White wire on the motor switch, then plug the cheater test cord into the 120 volt wall outlet, and let us know if the motor runs.

Here's the motor for your model(Video Included):
279827 Dryer Drive Motor

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the motor runs fine, then that's good.

Then we need to double check your TIMER. When checking continuity always remove at least one wire from the component you're checking.

Unplug the machine and remove the blue wire from the timer and set the timer on timed dry about 40 minutes. Check for continuity between BK and BU on the timer. No continuity or "open", replace the timer.

Timer WP3976576

Jake

rflick

Premium Member
I will try those test tonight when I go back to his house. Again, Thank you so much for everyones help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.

In fact, do the timer test first in post #9.

Jake