FIXED Kenmore 110.64994301 electric dryer that is turning but not heating up

Dvennwtt

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi! I am a first time poster. I am troubleshooting a kenmore 64994 electric dryer that is turning but not heating up. I have checked for conductivity in the the thermal cut off, high limit thermostat, thermal fuse and checked the resistance of the thermistor and that seemed correct for room temperature. I have also checked the heater resistance and it is about 10 ohms.

I have also checked the motor centrifugal switch and that works as well. I followed the tech sheet and the supply connections test showed that I do not get continuity between the l1 terminal of the terminal plug and the bk terminal of the timer. The tech sheet says to replace or repair the wire harness.

I have checked the wires that I can get to without taking the whole dryer apart and don’t see anything that looks wrong with them. I turned on the dryer and checked the voltage between ground and either of the two terminals of the heater element. I got 120 V on either terminal. Should that be getting 120 V or should that be 240?

I have checked at the terminal block and get 220 V between the outer two terminals and 120 v between the outer terminals and the center terminal. Should I take apart the dryer to check the wires I can’t get to? I have attached a pic of the heater strip circuit. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
We need the complete model number. Read it from the tag on the machine. Kenmore model numbers look like xxx.XXXXXXXX.

Dvennwtt

Premium Member
Thanks for your quick response. The model number is 101.64994301. I am attaching the part of the tech sheet talking about the component tests that I performed. It is step 6 that did not seem to pass assuming I am understanding where it wants me to measure the continuity correctly. The other steps seemed to pass the checks.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Nope, nothing with that number either. Read it off the model tag on the dryer. I'll look up the wiring diagram as soon as I get a good model number and I'll be able to give you the pinouts (test points).

rickgburton

Staff member
Machine on timed dry about 40 minutes start the machine. Check for 48 VDC across the two red/white wires on the heater relay. If the voltage is correct remove the two load wires (red wire & black wire) from the relay and short them together and see if the dryer heats.

Dvennwtt

Premium Member
Hi again! I just tried shorting the two red wires and got heat! I will go ahead and replace the relay and post again when everything is working. Thanks so much for your fast replies! Have a great weekend!