• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 24.500 BTU Model 580.75251500 vibration noise

Jeffmay

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We have the above, a wall mounted unit. This started a while ago, seems when the compressor comes on, , you kick the temps down it starts this racket, then stops ...like noisy vibration...clanging.. like a fan nicking a piece of metal...hope that helps Today it tripped shut off at wall plug.. for the first time. We have a 230 volt 6 NEMA -20R outlet
UPDATE: not the fan..obviously...it has a plug GFCI..when I reset that, it turns ON...runs...then I guess the compressor kicks in to cool, keep proper temp setting ?...then you hear a sound like BBs in a can..rackety vibration noise...which it has been doing for while. It just started shutting off when this rackety noise starts
OK ..did a search of this forum, seems one other member had this..some sort of internal compressor spring....is it worth buying a new $400 compressor...? will it need a recharge...?

Last edited:

Jeffmay

Premium Member
Wanted to update on this problem It's definitely a compressor issue..
This never happened before, not until I started running the unit on LOW speed fan, Fan 1 @71 deg ...for some reason, decided to kick the fan down, instead of turning it off. We usually run it for 45 -60 minutes, then turn it off. The house stays very cool, well insulated ..
What I'm doing now, is running it on F3, highest fan speed, lowered temps to 65 deg...it runs very strong, and gets ridiculously chilly in our living room area. So far so good, been crossing fingers, knocking on wood. I've run it for several hours straight w/o issue. Even though, we just picked up another Kenmore from SEARS locally yesterday...$649 24.500 BTU, less bells and whistles the better.. Our present Kenmore is nearly 20 years old. So hoping to get another season out of this one !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff, I thought I replied to you, guess not, I remember typing my reply. I remember saying the compressor is about $300 and labor to install it is about $300 and it would make more sense to buy a new 24,500 btu unit for $600 to $700 rather than fix yours.:)

Jake

G

Try cleaning the condenser coils with a garden hose. Spray the coils from the outside, with the air conditioner off. The condenser may be dirty and reducing the airflow through the cabinet. This will cause the unit to run hotter than it's supposed to. When that happens the pressures in the refrigeration system go up and the compressor has to work harder. This can cause the compressor to vibrate and shake before the overload kicks it off. Apparently your GFI outlet is kicking off before the compressor overload is. Hope that helps!