• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 3 or 4th soap dispenser, Disappointing & Poor value

ron3033

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello
This Sears Kenmore Dishwasher has been a Lemon from day one. Model 665.16059402
Under the first year warranty it had to have the main motor replaced. It never was a quiet afterwards. No matter how often I complained about it being noisy, I got no where. I even questioned if it was a new motor not a rebuild, as the Sears repairman brought it in a ripped up open box, and he took the defective one with him. Then it needed a pump out motor, thank goodness for the extended warranty. It needed a soap/rinse aid dispenser as all the rinse agent would run down the door. That repair was short lived as it had to be replaced again. Some of the repairmen would put on a clamp-on amp meter and punch in some sort of code ( I believe heated dry ...Sani wash or something like that) and the dishwasher would cycle all the lights. I would like to know this code and how to interpret it and what it means.

A little while after the second replacement of the dispenser, we had the service man come and check the dishwasher for noise. Some of the noise is during the wash (as I said earlier, never as quiet since wash motor replaced) He said little to address that part of the noise other than it is a few years old. The other noise he said was cavitation when it pumps water out?? We were not going to renew the extended warranty again, but I did. GOOD THING, about 10 days later the dispenser failed again, not letting the rinse aid out. So dispenser THREE was put on in in late November 2013, and it too has FAILED again, not releasing rinse aid. There is no warranty on the repair and I have no extended warranty any longer as it was too costly.

I am getting a new soap/rinse aid dispenser, but need some help as to the reason for so many of these have failed. How to run the diagnostic test and what the way the lights blink mean. A friend said there might be a reset button where you take off the toe kick plate. Any idea of noise solutions, and Any tips to putting in the new soap/rinse aid dispenser.

We do make sure the macerator is kept clean by removing the lower wash arm and cover ... etc, as well as use dishwasher magic to clean out the machine. We use powdered soap, have good hot water, our water is soft.

One of the repairmen said they rarely have issues with this model Dishwasher, but it seems I got them all. I am disappointed in this unit, as my old Kenmore ran 23 years.

Is Bosch a better unit to buy? This one is 6 years old and I am wondering if it is a dud? I am going broke, probably with the cost of extended warranty renewals I could have bought a new unit.

Thanks, I know this is a long read.
ron3033

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ron,

Some of the repairmen would put on a clamp-on amp meter and punch in some sort of code ( I believe heated dry ...Sani wash or something like that) and the dishwasher would cycle all the lights. I would like to know this code and how to interpret it and what it means.
The only time you'd need to take an amp reading is if your dishwasher's circuit breaker kept tripping, the heating element does pull more amps than other parts on your machine, but I'm not aware of any code associated with that amp test they ran on it, unless it was just the normal diagnostics code that activates each part separately so us techs can test them. The code for that is located in your tech data sheet behind your lower bottom access panel.

There is a maximum amp reading on your dishwashers model number tag, my 1997 Kenmore dishwasher says 6.0 amps on it. So yours should be about the same.

As for the noise issue, you could have had a defective motor put on it when it was replaced under warranty the first year. If you would have kept on them about that new motor noise problem day in and day out and talked to the store manager they would replaced it again with another new motor. It is very rare to get a new motor that comes defective, but can happen.

Kenmore did have a issue with the detergent dispenser's burning up, the cause was the main control board that was defective, I've run into this a few times when I worked at Sears on my service calls. I would always order BOTH the detergent dispenser AND the main control board, and that would solve it permanently.

All Kenmore dishwasher models that start with 665 are made by Whirlpool.

The electronic dishwashers had more issue's than the mechanical timer dishwashers like I have. I've never had any issues with mine at all, and like I said mine in a 1997 model and its still working as good today and it was in 1997 when it was brand new.

I've never owned or worked on any Bosch appliances, so I can't say if they are more reliable or not, but you can look through our Bosch Dishwasher Forum and see the issues with Bosch.

I know for a fact Bosch is more difficult to get access to all the lower parts below the tub, you have to pull the Bosch dishwasher's completely out to get access to those lower parts. I've been out with a Senior tech and watched/helped him do it, but that was the only time I was out on a Bosch appliance.

I still think Whirlpool and Maytag are very good and reliable, and those are the two brands I recommend to everyone. Whirlpool has upgraded the main control board since your model came out, and I never see anymore issues related to the detergent dispenser's failure.

Jake

ron3033

Premium Member
Hello Jake and Thank You

I am in an email chase with Sears about the issue. They are sending me a new dispenser and if I wish a 10% off a new dishwasher, if I buy in the next 6 months. I am not sure I want a Kenmore again, nor can I afford it right now. Maybe they will send mme a circuit board. Wishful thinking.

Any suggestions to putting in the new soap/rinse aid dispenser? Do you think the circuit board may mess this one up too?

What is the circuit board for this machine and how difficult is it to install? Is there any way I can check the board that is in it? Is that what the code is supposed to do?

I guess this weekend I will look for the paper, but I do not recall it being under the toe kick, as I have taken it off before. Could it be sandwhiched in between the door panels? Is there any way of getting one of these papers or sevice guides?

Thanks for your help

ron3033

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ron, the detergent dispenser will keep going bad until you replace the control board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Control Board 8564547 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to replace it:

[video=youtube;R6DRT-T2r5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R6DRT-T2r5w[/video]

Here's the detergent dispenser for your model:
Detergent Dispenser 8558129 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Detergent-Dispenser-8558129--01002403.jpg

Watch this video to replace it:

[video=youtube;m-nJ6C1ShfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m-nJ6C1ShfI[/video]

Keep us posted.

Jake

ron3033

Premium Member
Thank You Jake

I got away from the computer for a few days. I am in discussion with Sears about this and they may yet pay for the repair ... I hope.

Even if the give me the all parts you have given me the tools to replace them.

Thank You

ron3033

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Ron, sounds like your at least getting somewhere with it now with Sears, keep us posted.

Jake

ron3033

Premium Member
Hello Jake

Just got the word from the lady at Sears. They have agreed to send me a new control unit, and they had previoulsly had sent a soap/rinse aid dispenser. I had to sign a waiver that I could not go after them for any other parts. I thought this was fair. It is too bad that the control circuit was not changed in the first place, as it may have mean a lot less problems.

I will watch the video information you posted up above to install both of the parts and go to it when the part arrives at my home. If there are any other tips that you think of to put these parts in, or in general to keep this machine healthy let me know please.

As Always ... you guys are the best! I have oftened wondered how much money you have saved the common people by sharing the expertise and knowledge you have? I bet a lot!

A big Thank You and I will let you know how it goes getting it repaired.

ron3033

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Ron.:)

Yes, keep us posted on how it goes when you get it.:)

Jake