• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 3 ton, fan stays on when A/C off *Ideas?*

Skip01

Premium Member
Ok, hows it going out there?

New guy here, had a question about my Kenmore 3 ton that has a problem.

Welp, one day the fan just stayed on on the outdoor unit even while the indoor unit was off.
And I had to trip the break for the A/C too get it too shutoff, and itll work fine for weeks than one day itll just stay on again.

We had a A/C man comeout and his only options was a "full cleaning" for 600 or a new smaller unit for 4600.

But i had asked another A/C man that came to do repairs at our work, and he said it could be my relay inside the outside unit sticking closed causing it to stay on.

Said a bit of electrical lube on it would do the trick, i have yet to do that. Think ill get to that this weekend.

But any other ideas on what it could be?

Thanks,

Brett

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
Ok, hows it going out there?

New guy here, had a question about my Kenmore 3 ton that has a problem.

Well, one day the fan just stayed on on the outdoor unit even while the indoor unit was off.
And I had to trip the break for the A/C too get it too shutoff, and it'll work fine for weeks than one day it'll just stay on again.

We had a A/C man come out and his only options was a "full cleaning" for 600 or a new smaller unit for 4600.

But i had asked another A/C man that came to do repairs at our work, and he said it could be my relay inside the outside unit sticking closed causing it to stay on.

Said a bit of electrical lube on it would do the trick, i have yet to do that. Think ill get to that this weekend.

But any other ideas on what it could be?

Thanks,

Brett
The first A/C man is trying the wrong way to make a buck. :eek:
The repairman from your job is more accurate ;), although fan relays are usually sealed. A fan contactor you would be able to spray "Electrical Contact Cleaner" it is similar to tuner cleaner that TV repairmen used before all of the solid state stuff came out. :)