Kenmore 417.81122310 starts then shuts off E4A

TheSound10

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi guys,

I have a Kenmore 417.81122310 dryer which I believe to be only a year and a half old and will no longer stay on. I have scoured google and all over to find out what would be causing this. I also looked at the E4A error code which seems to be vague and pretty broad. The dryer does start and will actually stay on for a few minutes prior to it shutting off and then all of the lights above the start/pause bottom flash on and off. I have since cleaned out the lint in all of the vents and tested the power on the terminals (with correct readings). The dryer does dry because it is warm inside after the dryer shuts off.

Seems like this could be a whole bunch of issues from fuses to limiters to control board to the motor? If I’m right, this unit is only a year and half old (we just moved into a new house at the end of December) and it baffles me that it is already broken.

Any suggestions for things to try on this unit? Voltage drops or ohm readings from differently terminals? I haven’t really opened the unit up to know where anything is yet but am at the point of checking all connections and such before buying a new unit.

Thank you much for your replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I located your tech. data sheet and it says this:

E4A=Program Timeout Fault
The drying time has exceeded program time for that cycle.

Solution:
Press Pause Cancel and SELECT buttons for 6 seconds to exit test modes.
Position cycle selector to NORMAL, temperature selector to HIGH HEAT and touch START. Check for anything that would extend dry times such as: no heat, restricted vent, blower fan blade broken or loose, dryer installed in closet with solid door, or bad connection in moisture sensor bar circuit or dirty bars.

If dryer operates normally but code returns, replace electronic control.

Here's the electronic control for your model:
137070890 Electronic Housing

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model where it says that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfy9tbi02bx1bsj/417.81122310.pdf?dl=0

Jake

TheSound10

Premium Member
Yeah I’ve come across that and looked at those specifications.

I dissasembled the dryer after work last night and found out that the thermal fuse (50K ohms), specified on the schematic connected by the purple and tan wires was reading zero ohms on the multimeter. I checked the other thermal limiters and such on the heater and those are all working fine. I’m hoping by swapping out this thermal fuse will fix the issues. Just ordered the part last night and will see this week once replied if it was the fix.

If it turns out the control board is bad instead then this might be the last Kenmore product I buy, espeicslly being such a new unit.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the thermistor.:)

It didn't read any ohms of resistance at all?

Jake

TheSound10

Premium Member
My apologies, read it wrong. That’s right, it read no ohms of resistance. Is this a common component to go? I couldn’t find anywhere on the schematic for a thermal fuse. The thermal fuse is what I was looking for but this part was dead and I pointed my finger at this part. It comes in on Friday and will install then and cross my fingers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the thermistor should read about 50k ohms at room temperature.

So if you got no ohms from it at all, and your multimeter is working properly, then that's the problem.

The outlet thermal fuse I posted above should show 0 ohms, its located on your heating element housing.

You have another thermal fuse on the air dust that blows the hot air out of the dryer, it uses the exact same thermal fuse.

Then you have a thermal fuse on the back of you inside cabinet here: 137515200

All those should read 0 ohms as well.

Jake

TheSound10

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Well come to find out I didn’t properly set my multimeter to read a high enough resistance to realize my old thermister was properly functioning (as I kick myself so badly). I waited over a week to get this stupid part. I guess my only other option is to buy a new control board? Just really baffles me, unit is from 2016 and I have to replace the control board already? Used the new thermister just for the heck of it and still return E4A. Cleaned every inch of this thing too.

Thanks for your help and let me know what you think.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, new control board is what you will need.

How often do you use this dryer? Daily? Many times a day? 3 times a week?

Jake

TheSound10

Premium Member
We just moved a month ago into this house. Used the dryer maybe..4-5 times.

I’d order the control board but apparently if that doesn’t fix it then I cannot return any “installed” electronic component. I get it but it’s kind of bogus. Spend 170 bucks for it to still not work and not be able to return the part.

Thanks for your supper Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We have a special here: If you purchase parts from our links here and you install them and it doesn't fix the problem, you have a 365 day full refund when you return them, less shipping only!

Jake

TheSound10

Premium Member
That’s the best news I’ve received all day. I looked yesterday on the site and when I saw that I was kind of bummed. I’m going to go ahead and click the link you gave me and order now!!

Thank you Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

alexandra73

Premium Member
Hi all,

I'm having the same issue with my dryer (same model). TheSound10, did you fix yours after changing the control panel? Please let me know. Thanks!