• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 417.98042701 Gas Dryer Beeping

RKCRLR

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
It seems to be working OK but I get 3 beeps in a row with all of of the status lights flashing during the beeps.

I retrieved the error code per this thread:
and get E62.
I downloaded the service manual in the link in the above thread but there is no E62 error code.

I cleared the code and cycled the circuit breaker but the beeps and flashing returned.

Any suggestions?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the dryer is in standby mode, plugged in and all the indicator lights are off

Follow these steps:

Rotate cycle selector knob to the 3 O’clock position.

Press and hold the Select and Pause Cancel buttons simultaneously for 6 seconds

Immediately after, press and hold the START and Pause Cancel buttons simultaneously for 4 seconds

Rotate the cycle selector knob to the 2 O’clock position.

The four indicator lights, Drying, Cool Down, Wrinkle Rid (Press Saver), and Clean Lint Filter, will flash a number of times for the first digit of the code.

The START indicator light will flash a number of times for the second digit.

The control will pause for 2 seconds, then repeat the code.

This is where everyone makes mistakes because the 4 indicator lights and the START indicator light start flashing at the same time.

Take separate counts of each indicator light, then repeat to confirm in order to be accurate in identifying the proper error code. The code is obtained by counting the number of times the lights flash.

To move on to the next code, press the OPTIONS button.

To clear code, press the Select button. The Code will be cleared when service mode is exited.

To exit this mode, simultaneously press and hold the Select and Pause Cancel buttons for 6 seconds.

RKCRLR

Premium Member
I used the above procedure to get the code and clear the code (until it reappeared).

The 4 status indicators simultaneously flashed 6 times and then the start button flashed twice, along with beeps synchronized with the flashes. The cycle repeated after about 2 seconds.

This is error code E62, correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The 4 status indicators simultaneously flashed 6 times and then the start button flashed twice,
This is error code E62, correct?
along with beeps synchronized with the flashes.
The purpose of relisting the error code steps is because I thought you were not doing it correctly. It's easy to make mistakes with that model. You said the 4 indicators flashed then the start indicator flashed. They 4 indicators and the start indicator all flash at the same time. There is no error code 62 for your model and there are no beeps associated with the error codes. So it sounds like the control board is bad:

RKCRLR

Premium Member
I tried to get the codes again but there are no longer any codes in memory. I had cleared them the first time but I would have thought they would come back after the second time. I tried running the dryer for a short time and there are no beeps.
If it happens again I will make sure I'm reading the codes correctly and post the results.
Thanks