• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 417.98702891 Electric Dryer Won't Turn (Motor Works)

borntodeal

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hey folks,

I have a very nice and old model 417.98702891 all-electric Kenmore laundry center.

The dryer has been temperamental for some time but finally it won't start. The motor seems to work since I can hear it try to turn but the dryer drum is very hard to turn and I just had all the felt replaced.

This video was taken a week ago and since then it won't start at all. Any thoughts on what to replace?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the service manual for the stacked models: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzvgAyLTSh14MDBLazVUSUg4bzg/view?usp=sharing

It seems the dryer motor is starting to wear out. Disconnect power to the dryer pull the stacked unit out from the wall, then remove that little access panel on the back of the dryer, then take the belt off, then turn your motor pulley both ways. It should turn easy both ways, and continue spinning when you take your hand off of it.

That can also be where the squeak sound is coming from, as the motor has a bearing in it that can wear out and start squeaking when you turn the motor pulley.

Here's the dryer motor for your model:
5303937189 Motor and Blower Housing Assembly

Jake

borntodeal

Premium Member
Jake,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this.

I am going to tackle this job myself, as I believe I have the requisite skills and am qualified after reviewing the PDF you shared.

While I'm "in there," would you recommend a PM and if so, what components would you suggest I replace now in order to avoid future maintenance possibilities?

Thank you for your generous time and expertise.

Christopher

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
While I'm "in there," would you recommend a PM
Just clean out all the lint build-up inside the dryer.

No lubrication is required.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, When I worked at Montgomery Ward as a Wards tech and Sears as a Sears tech, whenever we replaced the front felt assembly we would ALWAYS replace the rear bearing assembly too, as that usually is the cause of the front felt assembly to go bad.

So, i'd definitely replace the rear bearing assembly if I was you.

Here's the rear bearing kit for your model you can order(Video Included):
Drum Bearing 5303281153

Make sure you replace the plastic bearing cup that comes with that kit, and put lots of grease in the plastic bearing cup first, the grease comes with that kit.

The other parts are up to you if you want to replace them, it might not be a bad idea since you will have the drum out of the dryer to replace the rear bearing kit.

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element 131475320

Here's the Idler pulley assembly for your model:

Here's the belt for this model:
Drive Belt 134503600

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome!

Jake