• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 417 will not dispense bleach or softener

lilwolf

Premium Member
Gentlemen: my Kenmore 417 refuses to dispense bleach or softener, soap goes ok, I have removed and cleaned the little tray but I understand that there is a wee motor that sucks that stuff up and sends it where it needs to go, and that if I need to replace that wee motor I must remove the dryer from the top and all of that, my question: would it help if I blew air into those little chambers or squirt water up in them or not?
thank you
lilwolf:confused:

lilwolf

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply, the full model number for the machine is :
417 42042142100, hope this helps.
lilwolf and I realize that it is dryer down time

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

lilwolf

Premium Member
my Kenmore 417 refuses to dispense bleach or softener

you are correct, it is 42042100 and yes the hot and cold water work fine, about a month ago our softner took a doo and we had the little resin balls throughout our watersystem but the washer clogged up because they would not go through the filter, maybe perhaps some got through and buggered it up, another question, is better to replace the dispenser motor unit or can I clean it up? it does not sound likely.
thanks for your help to date, thanks so very much.
lilwolf

lilwolf

Premium Member
I took a peek at the schematic of the dispenser unit and it looks kinda complicated, is it all that intricate? or can a simpleton like myself do a remove and replace?:confused:
lilwolf

jeff1

Staff member
Taking one apart and putting it back together would be more difficult....replacing it would be easier since most of it comes together as a one piece part.

Service manual may help

jeff.

lilwolf

Premium Member
Thanks again for your help, I agree that just replacing the whole unit is the more appropriate thing to do, tell me, I forgot, when I remove the dryer from the top of the washer, is there a panel on top I can remove or is the access through the back orrrrrr can I merely remove the front panel where the dials are? also is there a picture of the washer I can refer to as a guideline when I work on my washer?
lilwolf:confused:

jeff1

Staff member
when I remove the dryer from the top of the washer, is there a panel on top I can remove or is the access through the back orrrrrr can I merely remove the front panel where the dials are?
Access through the top....so....no, no and no.

also is there a picture of the washer I can refer to as a guideline when I work on my washer?
This here might help.

jeff.

lilwolf

Premium Member
I guess my next question is what are the steps to replace the bleach dispenser unit? through the back?, the front? I know now that I cannot go through the top.
thanks
lilwolf
:confused:

lilwolf

Premium Member
:eek: as an afterthought, about two weeks before my dispenser stopped working my water softener took a doo and spread those little resin BBs throughout my water system plugging anything that had a filter screen, fortunatly, (I thought) they did not get past the washer screen, but in retrospect I assumed they were all too big to enter the washer, so I cleaned the water entrances to the washer and it worked fine, is possible some resin balls were smaller and got into my dispenser? and if they did does that worsen the diagnosis?
lions and tigers and bears oh my!!!
lilwolf

lilwolf

Premium Member
OMG!!! Jeff you are correct, gadzooks! I completely forgot that it was necessary to remove the top in order to make it stackable ACH! what a dumkoph I am, my wife is right I should not be allowed to procreate, thanks Jeff . . . .lilwolf:eek:

jeff1

Staff member
but in retrospect I assumed they were all too big to enter the washer, so I cleaned the water entrances to the washer and it worked fine, is possible some resin balls were smaller and got into my dispenser?
Most times I see them in the fill hose screens or in the fill valve screens...is it possible something made it past the screen washers, yup!

jeff.