• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 500 model 110.29522801 won't spin

Tommypenguin

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
New to this forum so thank you all upfront. The machine agitates just fine (the clothes as well as me) but will not spin. I've replaced the coupler and clutch (old ones looked fine but had the parts and the machine was apart) but still won't spin. I've noticed that it sounds like the motor runs when it hits the spin cycle and that if you lift the lid and set it back down it will spin, but the lid switch test (volt/ Ohm meter) was fine. Is there another test I could try? Also, everytime the planets align on the second Tuesday of the week it will spin. Demonic possession has not been ruled out yet. I've read many posts and watched countless videos but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you notice when it finishes draining does the motor shut off and pause for a few seconds then the motor comes back on but not spinning? Or no motor pause at all?

The transmission is a neutral spin. After the wash cycle completes, the machine starts the drain cycle almost immediately. After approximately two minutes the timer will pause the motor operation for a few seconds causing the clutch to engage the spin tube and release the brake and continues into the spin cycle.

Most ( not all ) direct drive washers are a neutral drain washer, means the timer allows the washer to pump out the water and then the timer pauses ( stops ) the washer so the neutral drive in the gearbox can reset for spinning, and when the timer allows the washer to start back up again the pumping will continue and spinning will occur.

You should be able to see the pauses on the washer wiring diagram flowchart.

--->The water should drain out first then the timer tells the motor to shut off for about 20 seconds, then the timer tells the motor to restart, then the brake will disengage and it will spin.

Does it not spin on ALL CYCLES? If this issue is intermittent, you will have to babysit the washer to see if the timer is telling the motor to pause and shut down for 20 seconds.

I had this same issue on a customer when I worked at Sears in Oregon, I went to their house 5 times and I never saw it once do this while I was there(THE TIMER ALWAYS PAUSED THE MOTOR), and I stayed during the whole cycle each time.

If you are NOT getting THAT motor pause, then its the timer that's the culprit.

Here's the timer for your model:
WPW10175553 Timer

Jake

Tommypenguin

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply Jake. I just did a load and here's the sequence:
  1. Fill
  2. Agitate
  3. Pause
  4. Drain- motor on but no spin (lifting the lid and lowering it will make it spin)
  5. Pause
  6. Rinse/ spin
  7. Fill
  8. Repeat
Does this sound like the timer issue you outlined? I hate to spend that much to find out it's something else. I'm only into it for around $100 right now and if it costs alot more, a new machine might be a better choice. (She wants to give up and go new, but now it's personal to me.) If you have any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks again,

Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, on 4 why are you lifting the lid? Just keep the lid down and see if you get a PAUSE. Some models can take up to 2 minutes until that PAUSE happens after all the water drains and the motor is still running.:)

Jake