Kenmore 580.74054400 Coolant noise

MetalCastr

Premium Member
Hello. I found this forum after searching for a solution to my problem. My problem is that my Kenmore Window AC unit purchased 2 years ago makes a coolant noise. I know its draining properly, it's tilted enough. It only makes this noise when the compressor has been running a minute and upwards. The noise slows and stops about 30 Secs after I turn the compressor off as the coolant stops. The fan can still be running and make no coolant noise, because the water is properly draining. I have made sure by checking many times. Other Window AC units make a slight "hissing" coolant noise, but not a "gurgle gurgle his gurgle noise".

Don't worry, I am not an extreme noobie, I have researched this alot, and know the basics of refrigeration (capacitor start compressor, expansion valve, etc).

This unit cost about $89 when I bought it from sears. It was the cheapest unit they had, but it did meet my cooling needs of 5150BTU

Specs:

4.9 Amps

115 Volts (I get 125 here though)

R22 Refridgerant 7 ounces

350 Psig High side
150 Psig low side

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
All refrigeration units make a "coolant noise" upon shut down of compressor. Since liquids CANNOT be compressed, the liquid refrigerant in the high side has to equalize with the rest of the system. The only way it can do this is by continuing it's high pressure journey through the cap tube and evaporator. That noise you're describing sounds perfectly normal.

MetalCastr

Premium Member
Thank you. The sound is louder than most AC units I have come across, But I guess that is what happens when you are cheap like me.