• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 596.66253401 - Freezer working, Fridge not getting cold

Norman Dacanay

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello kind strangers,

My Kenmore's fridge portion is not getting cold. The freezer is working like a champ, but the cold air does not seem to be reaching the fridge portion.

What I have already done:

-opened up the back and cleaned the vents and fans
-placed hand on compressor and it is very warm but not hot
-fan beside the compressor is working well and I have cleared it up of a lot of dust and debris
-checked for ice build up on coils and pipes, but did not observe any ice build up anywhere
-checked to make sure that the damper door was clear and functioning. Yes to both.
-tried my best to see if there was any obstructions in the channel from the damper to the freezer by slowly lowering a flexible rod and there doesn't seem to be any obstructions
-checked to make sure that the fan in the freezer portion was working and that ice build up in the area was kept to a minimum

Please let me know what else I can do and how to troubleshoot.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The Air Duct that runs from the freezer up to the refrigerator is located on the far left side of the evaporator behind that freezer panel, its a square duct tunnel, at times I find these clogged with ice/frost and not allowing air up to the Refrigerator, Did you check that yet?

Look at this photo:

inside3.JPG

Jake

Norman Dacanay

Premium Member
Thanks for the input Jake. I haven't checked that yet, but fortunately the air is now venting properly to the fridge and it is nice and cold. I don't know if it was the result of the cleaning and troubleshooting I did. The only thing I did, but didn't mention was before going to bed last night I cranked the cooling for both the fridge and freezer to max (7), whereas they were set to 6 and 5 previously. I don't know if this caused the air to flow properly as these were the settings that were in place when I received the fridge 4 years ago.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Norman, sounds like cleaning and troubleshooting, or setting it cooler fixed it.:)

Let us know if the problem returns.

Jake