• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 596.79213010 Refrigerator -- Enough with the manual defrost

VentSolaire

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
So I've moved in the new house over 2 years ago and it had this bottom freezer Kenmore 596.79213010 refrigerator. It's great.. until the coils freeze and the refrigerator compartment is not cool enough (the freezer would still stay cold for a while) and I have to force a manual defrost.

I've been doing this dumb process for about 2 years and this week I decided that I've had enough. Surely something can be done about it?

So the forced defrost mode works--manually holding both door switches and pressing the refrigerator temperature control 3 times and selecting either the long or short defrost. I can hear the water evaporating, I see the ice melting down from the coils. I even removed the back plate and I can feel the resistive element heating up. So I'm assuming the heater is working fine.

Next the bi-metal thermostat. So when the back plate was removed and the coil still cold, I measured continuity--got a reading of 0 ohm. Good. Then turned on the heater for a bit, ice melted, re-measured continuity. Measured 56k ohms. Is that within spec?

Next step is where I'm lost. Should I be looking at the thermistor? I am not sure how (or where) to test it, the long wire goes to the top compartment of the freezer and then nowhere to be found?

20210930_185045.jpg

Or is the electronic control board faulty? Is it possible that it's been faulty for over 2 years? Is there anyway to test it?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:
whirlpool-board-jazz-wpw10503278-ap6022400_01_l.jpg

VentSolaire

Premium Member
Thank you Rick. This is very helpful. I will place an order right away.

Can you expand on why you think it is not the thermistor that could be faulty?

rickgburton

Staff member
You can check the thermistor resistance. At 77°F (room temperature) the thermistor should measure around 2,700Ω. At 36°F around 7,964Ω

VentSolaire

Premium Member
Do you take these measurement from the wire harness that is connected to the control board? Short of cutting the wire, I don't see where the thermistor wires are connected to.

rickgburton

Staff member
Some thermistors have their own connector and some don't. On the ones that don't, cut the wires and use a couple wire nuts or black tape to reconnect. The most accurate way is to remove the thermistor and place it in a small glass of mostly ice and water. That will get it close to 32°, 33° At 32°F the thermistor should indicate 8,750Ω