• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 665.13193K901 Dishwasher ending cycles with a 1 blink followed by 8 blink blue light code.

Emittim3

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13193K901
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a 10 year old kenmore elite 665.13193K901 that is ending cycles with a 1 blink followed by 8 blink blue light code. Can someone confirm what this code means?
Some times the pan has water left in it, others times it is fully drained, but same code in each case. Tried different cycles with and without heater (drying cycle or extra hot water cycles) and still same code. Cleared out drain hose a few months back. A long time ago the drain impeller had some slight damage from broken glass bits. But has been working well up until now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Which LED is blinking? The Sanitized one?

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below, you will see the only one they list is the Sanitized LED blinking at the end of the cycle.

--->Sanitized LED Blinks at the End of a Cycle (Control Could Not Confirm Sanitization Achieved)

Jake

Attachments

Emittim3

Premium Member
Hmmm... I'll try to make heads/tails of that schematic.
The LED that is blinking is the right most led on the front of the door (third/last one on the right). Blue. The same LED that is solid after a normal end of cycle.
Would sanitize be something that is a detection (and thus running into the 8-1 blue LED blink status showing fault) for all cycle options run? I've run a single normal wash only, with no other options chosen and ended up with the 8-1 fault status. So it seems strange that it would be a sanitize detection (steam creation) fault if sanitize was not an option chosen....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the name of the LED that is blinking? The CLEAN LED?

8-1 is INLET VALVE--->Low Water/Air in Pump

Clear the clean led by pushing heated dry--->normal--->heated dry---->normal. you may just have a suds problem.

Jake

Last edited:

Emittim3

Premium Member
Tried that a few times already. Keeps coming back with the 8-1 (yes, blue clean LED) code at the end and some times in the middle of running full chosen cycles. When it stops working mid cycle, the pan will be full of water. When finishing the full chosen cycle, the pan will be empty of water, both cases ends up with the 8-1.

I'll try pulling the thing out and cleaning the drain pump again and checking the impeller again. I read elsewhere (similar model) that the 8-1 was pertaining to the heating element, out of bounds resistance. I had actually ordered a replacement, but then read elsewhere that the 8-1 was something with the main washing pump (not the drain pump). Which if so, I'd rather replace the whole unit since it is > 10 years old at this point.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
8-1 is INLET VALVE--->Low Water/Air in Pump

I located another member with this exact same problem and the new water inlet valve fixed his:
You Kenmore is made by Whirlpool. Both yours and his are identical as far as the exact same water inlet valve and control board and error codes.:)

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
W10648041 Water Inlet Valve

Jake

Emittim3

Premium Member
Thanks! I'll try that and see where it leads me. Took it out and flushed out the drain tube and re-checked the pump again just to make sure I didn't have any blockage there. All looked good, so I was leaning toward it being a main pump assembly issue (and thus was preparing to just replace the whole unit with a new washer instead of trying to fix it). I'll post an update here once the part comes and results are seen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Emittim3

Premium Member
Well.... the 8-1 code is now gone. I've gone through three washes. First one ended with a 6-1 code with the pan still full of water. I re-ran it with the same cycle settings (normal wash, heated dry, extra hot water, upper tray sprayers enabled) and it finished without any codes. This third wash that just completed ended again with a 6-1, the pan was empty of water. So I reset the panel and just did a drain/end cycle.

What does a 6-1 code mean?

About to throw the thing off the deck...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look at your tech. data sheet I posted in post #2 above. 6-1 is Wash Motor--->No communication. Do all the steps it says to do, check all your wires to the wash motor to make sure they are tight.

Anytime you replace a part on these dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

Emittim3

Premium Member
Ah - I did the reset/service cycle in the past but I didn't do one thing, let it run. I would clear it before closing the door thinking that all that was needed was to do the reset/cycle (button 1 then 2 as "1,2,1,2,1,2") - This time and for the first time I did that sequence, then didn't clear it, just closed the door and let it run. Afterwards all LEDs on the front door were off. I then ran a complete wash cycle. All is good at the end of that. However, that's the first wash I've run. Time will tell if it continues to complete cycles without diagnostic errors at the end. I have four kids, so we wash at a minimum once a day, some times two cycles a day on the weekends. So it won't be long before I know if we're in a final stable fixed state or not. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, yes it should keep working for you normally now. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Emittim3

Premium Member
Whelp - nope. Back to the 6-1 after cycles again. Tried it all again, pulled it out, re-connected everything, went through the reset cycle, and we're at 6-1 after every run again (ran the same dishes through 3 washes today, two stopped short without draining the pan, and it stopped with the 6-1, one stopped at what seemed the end with an empty pan but also 6-1 code).
A few years ago I replaced the main pump. Wonder if it's going out again...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Open up the console and check your control board to see if you notice any burnt spots on it. Turn the breaker off to your dishwasher first!

Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board WPW10285178

Let us know what you find.

Jake