Kenmore 665.16032402 mid cycle - no power no lights

Howdee

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello!

I recently replaced the circulation pump (repair clinic), drain pump (repair clinic), thermistor (repair clinic) and soil sensor pressure switch (pre-owned).

Everything was working for two full wash cycles (China Gentle with empty dishwasher first, then loaded smart wash). Today we tried to run a normal wash and the whole dishwasher went off midway with water standing below the heating element. No lights.

I can put the original parts back in but not sure how to diagnose due to no power.

i did clean out the “active vent” but still no power. I believe this part can cause the system to shut off, no lights, mid cycle.

Conundrum: our dishwasher was serviced years ago for heating element. We had moisture issues after this. Recently a lower door gasket seal came loose. We removed it and appears that it does not go with this particular model. Perhaps the gasket being in place for years caused an issue for the active vent? The part was Frigidaire 809006501 Frigidiare Bottom Door Gasket Seal. I’ve confirmed many times that this part does not go with our dishwasher but still confused why we had one.

If I push in on the door panel, still no lights. The door does “click” when I close the door.

Direct wiring. Maybe my ground wire should make more contact? See photo.

Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you ohm test the thermal fuse? It snaps onto the side of your control board. Usually when the dishwasher acts dead, that's the cause.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order(Video Included):
Thermal Fuse 8193762

It comes with instructions and you have to replace the wiring(that comes with it) also.:)

You can ohm test it per this video to see if yours is bad, Make sure you turn your breaker off to your dishwasher first, and also remove both wires to it before ohm testing it!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Conundrum: our dishwasher was serviced years ago for heating element. We had moisture issues after this. Recently a lower door gasket seal came loose. We removed it and appears that it does not go with this particular model. Perhaps the gasket being in place for years caused an issue for the active vent? The part was Frigidaire 809006501 Frigidaire Bottom Door Gasket Seal. I’ve confirmed many times that this part does not go with our dishwasher but still confused why we had one.
That is very odd, A Frigidaire part CAN NOT work on a Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool. So I'd remove that.

Did the tech replace the heating element back then or what?

Jake

Howdee

Premium Member
Yes, the tech replaced the heating element at that time. I will test the ohm resistance of the thermal fuse in the morning.

Thank you, Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Howdee

Premium Member
Jake, it worked! Lights, sound and action!

No continuity on thermal fuse. With standing water, I decided to purchase one locally. It has the more complex wiring replacement so I risked just replacing the thermal fuse.

Do you think I would be competent enough to replace the more complex wiring harness with wires to the door switch, to terminal P8 and the fuse. Whirlpool Instruction Sheet 675814 Rev A 8/16. 2006. If not, I will order the fuse with easy wiring from Repair Clinic or Appliance Parts Pro.

Also, front left door panel leaked maybe because the water in the dishwasher was cold so the active vent with wax motor was not operating? Now that the water in the tub is hot, no additional leaking. Good learning moment.

I did not give up only because of your continued support. Heartfelt thanks!

May have to take it out one more time to determine a minor drip on left side. Not much so maybe one of the hoses or clamps routed along the left of the tub. If not, could be the water intake. We have water softener but sometimes things build up anyway.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not following you with the extra wiring, you don't need to replace anymore wiring than what's in that thermal fuse it.

There is a video in that thermal fuse part link I posted above that shows you exactly how to replace those wires to the thermal fuse.

Jake

Howdee

Premium Member
Agreed. As we had standing water, I purchased locally. The local appliance parts supply thermal fuse comes with a different wiring harness. I’ve uploaded the instruction sheet. It has one wire going to door switch, one to p8 and two to the fuse.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Howdee

Premium Member
Absolutely! I do not have a terminal block connector. I found this video on Repair Clinic for the similar wiring:

KitchenAid Dishwasher Thermal Fuse Replacement #675796

Will give it a try.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The terminal block connector comes with your OEM Thermal Fuse Kit 8193762, why did you not get it?

--->KitchenAid Dishwasher Thermal Fuse Replacement #675796 is NOT for your model.

Jake

Howdee

Premium Member
My order with the correct wiring will be here by Wednesday. I will replace the existing wiring when it arrives. I guess my local place gave me the wrong part, 675813.

Leak from left door may be from remnants of the Frigidaire lower door gasket seal. I will try to identify and remove all pieces of it.

In this lower door photo, the center plastic ridge has a white thin piece of flexible plastic peeking out. I guess I could slide a 3x5 card along the gap to coax any remnants out.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nothing is suppose to be there in that gap per your parts list.

Jake