Kenmore 665.16039402 Blinking Start Light after replacing control board and heating element

mjlongo

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Greetings, this problem originated with the flashing Clean light issue - performing the Heated Dry/ Normal Dry All LED diagnostics did reset it but then it would not reset, just blink Clean 7 times. Pulled control board and it was certainly bad (see below).

I have done the following:

1. Original control board was burnt on relay K2 which leads to the heating element (Control board replaced twice, long story...)
  2. Service Diagnostic Cycle - ALL LIGHTS will illuminate and WILL STAY on (even after pressing Start key to advance to next cycle) until Cancel is hit
  3. Original heating element measured OK - like 8 ohms but was in rough shape so I just replaced with a brand new one
  4. Ran through all available Keyswitch resistance on every keypad depress (getting .7 Volts on diode test) except I cannot find the "Smart Wash" in check table that was in the technicians manual (love Sears for including these under the kickplate!)
  5. Checked via hot water the thermistor - it lowers quickly to around 5K ohms when submersed into very hot water.
  6. Hi Limit Thermostat is closed as it should be
  7. TCO (Thermal fuse on the control board is brand new) and is OK (0 ohms)
  8. Checked the door locking mechanism several times - clicking it on then testing continuity to control board

Running out of ideas here, the control panel and board appear to be OK, but why would the darn Start light continue to blink red.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, You may have a short in the keypad.

Try This:

Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
Open the dishwasher door.
Open console and disconnect the keypad ribbon connection from the control (at P1).
Make sure all other connections are made.
Put console back together.
Do not close the dishwasher door.
Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
Wait 5 seconds.
Close dishwasher door.
Monitor the control’s response.

➔If the control board is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace the keypad if the control board responds OK.

➔If the control board is not OK (still sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), then the drain motor will NOT respond. If drain motor does not start within 10 seconds, repeat or verify that all steps were followed, and then replace the control board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
WP8564547 Control Board

Here's the control panel for your model you can order if needed:
WP8558953 Panel-Cntl

Jake

mjlongo

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for the prompt reply.

I've done that and the dishwasher is unresponsive when the ribbon cable is pulled out and then powered up / door is latched. This happened on two control boards so far. Don't want to spend any more $ and time on this. Time to get a new one boo!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree, new dishwasher time.:)

Jake