Kenmore 665.16829 Unable to remove bottom filter/chopper guard. Need to clean under it

CORiverRat

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The unit is leaving a lot of debris and film on dishes and I am sure this is the problem. I have removed the spray arm assembly, and got all of the hex screws out of the filter unit (WP8519553 is the OEM part#) but now I cannot remove that part.

It appears to be held in place by the unit that turns the spray arm and when I try and remove that bolt the whole unit spins.

I tried to grab the rubber piece this screws into with a pair of channel locks but no luck. I remember I removed this once before a few years ago but do not remember how I got that piece off so I could remove the filter itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is the only problem with the unit, well, except for the front door is now held together with gorilla table because the screws all broke the fasteners they were held in place by.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the impeller kit for your model, the black one is the wash impeller(Video Included in part link):
Impeller and Seal Kit 675806

The hardest part is getting the impeller screw out.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

CORiverRat

Premium Member
That is my issue, how do I remove the bold that holds the impeller and prevents removal of filter

That is exactly my problem. How to I remove the bolt in that unit that turns that is holding the filter in place. I tried channel locks to grab it but that didn't help

CORiverRat

Premium Member
Video has what I need, although I am still having issues getting the bolt out. Will see if I can

Going to try and see if I can get something bigger to hold that 'nut' in place so I can put more force on the bolt. Bolt seems pretty tight and can't seem to get enough force without the 'nut' slipping from either the channel locks or adjustable wrench

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just keep at it, spray liquid wrench on it and let it soak in for awhile.

Jake