Kenmore 70 series dryer keeps blowing thermal fuses (cycling thermostat shows continuity)

erictyler03

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My dryer would not start turning but the timer and heating element come on. I troubleshooted yesterday and found the thermal fuse to be busted. i replaced it and it worked fine for two cycles then stopped again. The lint trap and line are clear all the way to the outside by the way. I read that the cycling tstat could cause the problem so i tested the continuity (at room temerature) and it was fine. Well, the two outside terminals are connected but the two inner terminals do not show continuity but i read somewhere that is normal. I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help! (my first post so my apologies if this is a repeat thread)

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

My dryer would not start turning but the timer and heating element come on
See if the heating element is grounded...
LINK> Grounded Elements On Electric Dryers | Appliance Aid

I read that the cycling tstat could cause the problem so i tested the continuity (at room temerature) and it was fine
You would be more concered with it cycling off when heated than if it has continuity at room temp.

jeff.

erictyler03

Premium Member
Thank you for the help Jeff. Quick question though. (excuse my ignorance) If the t stat is not working properly, ie not cycling off when heated, doesnt that mean there is an overheating problem to begin with? Say the fuse and t stat are replaced and the dryer starts working again. Wouldnt it over heat again and just cause the cycling tstat to shut off? (the heating element is not grounded) Again, i may be confused on the way the t stat works. Do you think there is a problem somewhere else?

This is an older dryer and i understand i can replace it for the cost of several repairs so i will not be offended if the answer is buy a new dryer.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If the t stat is not working properly, ie not cycling off when heated, doesnt that mean there is an overheating problem to begin with?
Yes, that is why the thermla fuse lets go....got too hot for what ever reason.

Say the fuse and t stat are replaced and the dryer starts working again. Wouldnt it over heat again and just cause the cycling tstat to shut off?
??
Hopefully if both are replaced it shouldn't over heat again.....but poor venting/lint filter/vent hood, grounded element, motor heat switch welded closed ( heats when the motor is not running ), pinched/shorted wire might be other possible trouble makers.

Again, i may be confused on the way the t stat works
Operating thermostat cycles the heat on and off during the drying cycle, safety thermostat does nothing unless something causes the heating element area to get too hot, thermal fuse opens up if anything in the heating system gets too hot.

jeff.