• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 70 Series Dryer Making Grinding Noise

asterry1

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore 70 series Dryer makes a terrible grinding noise. I first noticed that the grinding would happen only for a couple of seconds after I turned the dryer on, but now its consistent. I don't believe it is the motor, because I manually spun the tub with my hands with the dryer off and could hear the grinding noise. Any possible explanations to this?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, you most likely have something caught in the blower. Unplug the machine and remove the vent hose. Remove the lint filter and the two screws under the lint filter. Remove the back panel and lay the machine on it's front. The lint filter housing has four 5/16" screws holding it over the blower. Remove those screws and lift the lint filter housing off the blower. Clean out the lint filter housing and the blower housing around the blower wheel. Be careful when you reach inside the lint filter housing. There are some sharp edges. You'll probably find something like a pencil caught in there.
Dryer Back View.jpg

asterry1

Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe that the problem is in the drum rollers or the axle. I say this because I can hear the noise if I turn the tub with my hands with the dryer off.

rickgburton

Staff member
Well, rollers and the idler pulley are definitely a possibility but don't normally make a grinding noise. When you turn the drum by hand, you're also turning the motor pulley, the motor, and the blower at the same time. When the rollers are worn out the center bearing in the roller is usually shot. When it starts to make a noise it doesn't usually go away after a couple seconds. The idler pulley might do that but it usually squeals or squeaks. I guess anything is possible. You'll just need to take it apart and see.

Drum Roller 349241T Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Drum-Roller-349241T-00556273.jpg

Idler Assembly 691366 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Idler-Assembly-691366-00554197.jpg

[video=youtube;wBf_vwvlFGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wBf_vwvlFGM[/video]
[video=youtube;RZ09dH4-7Ho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RZ09dH4-7Ho[/video]

Forsomeoddreason

Premium Member
I had this same issue tonight. I just typed in kenmore 70 series dryer repair to google I see applianceblog....dryer making grinding noise. First time I have ever signed up for something like this. I have a fair amount of loose coins tumbling inside the dryer barrel and from time to time a coin will come out of one the fins. I decided tonight to turn the dryer manually back and forth to see if could get some of the coins out. I got a couple out then the dryer would turn as easily manually. When I turned it on to dry, it made what was best described as a grinding noise, when I open the door to stop it, the barrel comes to a stop almost immediately as opposed to the usual gliding stop. Could this be the same thing, something caught in the blower? I doesn't seem to have a heating issue. I don't smell any burning. And no loud thumping or off balance rocking. It has quieted down some since I started it.

rickgburton

Staff member
I need the complete model number off the tag on the machine. It's usually where the door closes. I'll see how good my memory is. Take the lint filter out from the top panel then remove the two screws by the lint filter opening. Use a paint scrapper and push in on the two clips, one on each side between the top panel and the front panel. Lift the top and lean it against the back wall. Rotate the drum by hand until you see two or three 1/4" screws in a row. These hold the plastic "fins" inside the drum. Remove them and the fin comes off so you can clean it. When you reinstall the fin you'll need to hold it inside the drum with one hand and fasten the screw closest to the front with the other hand. If your front panel has a removable lower panel below the door, remove it and take the belt off the motor pulley. Start the machine and see if the noise is still present. Clean the blower housing from the rear of the machine. Remove the back panel. Make sure the two screws by the lint filter are removed. The easiest way to do this is lay the machine down on it's front and don't latch the top panel clips. Remove the four 5/16" screws securing the lint filter housing over the blower. Lift the lint filter housing and slide to one side.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK I got it right, the only difference is yours has a single front panel. Skip the part about disconnecting the belt and starting the dryer. The rest is the same.