• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 70 Series Heavy Duty Elec Dryer

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Our 70 series dryer seems to dry real hot on all settings except "Air Dry." Any troubleshooting ideas?
Is this something I can repair myself if possible.
Thanks in advance for any info.
P

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi Paterpull,

The most common problem with a overheating problem with poor drying results is a vent exhaust restriction.

Clean the lint filter first then Pull the dryer out and take off the vent exhaust hose then run it with the hose off forabout 15-20minutes and check that lots of air comes out of the dryer exhaust.

If there is plenty of air coming out, the air temp coming out will be between 115-200 F with the average about 160 F.

If all that checks ok, then you have a restriction somewhere in your venting hose/Duct that runs to the outside ofyour house. You will need to clean that out, that should do it.:)

Hope that helps,

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks Jake.
I'll do as you suggest even though there isn't much of a hose involved. The dryer connects to the outlet right at the interior wall and it's a straight shot outside traveling a distance of about a foot. There is air coming out of the vent but i wonder if it should be more. Anyway, I'll follow your tips and see what happens. I'll repost with whatever results I get.
Thanks again.
This is a good forum.
Paterpull

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

OK,

Glad to hear it has a short way to travel through the hose, the shorter the better.:cool:

Yes, the air has to come out with lots of force.

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Jake, I just spent the better part of an hour checking the vent pipe. It's a flexible pipe but "accordians" as I push the dryer back in the cubicle so the gap between dryer and outside vent is only about 10 inches. The hose was clear and I checked the dryer outflow tube and it was also clear. The dryer still wants to get hot and after finding and reading a bit through the original operating instructions, I noticed that this dryer has something called a "sensor" in the drum that monitors moisture and also adjusts the heat accordingly as the drying cycle progresses. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be the culprit as the dryer wants to get hot (you can smell the heating element) on all cycles but the cooling and air dry ones. Any input on my idea and is this something I can order and replace myself. I'm tool and appliance handy.
Thanks,
P

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Just my 18 cents worth ( cruddy Canadian dollar )

**I noticed that this dryer has something called a "sensor" in the drum that monitors moisture and also adjusts the heat accordingly as the drying cycle progresses.**

Probably not 100% true.....some do have moisture sensors but they rarely have anything to to with the heat output....they often tell an electronic board/control what the clothes are like ( wet , dry, damp, ect ) so the control can deside if it needs to stay on longer or go to shut off mode.

Too hot *possible* trouble makers:

- grounded heating element

- air flow

- thermostat(s)

JMO!

jeff.

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks for the input.
Hopefully I can figure this out so if I have to call a repair person, I'll know what I'm getting for my buck. (American dollar not doing so well either.)
Take off, eh!
P

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

This may sound funny, but i always will ask this: Did you take its temperature?:D

Sounds like your vent system is fine, but as i said this morning the normal temp. range is between 115-200 F . With the cycling average being about 160 F on high heat. Low heat should be about 130-140 F. I use a lazor thermometer, but any pocket thermometer should do ok as well. Also some volt meters have a temp. probe.

Like Jeff mentioned, possible sensor, grounded element, cycling thermostat.

The reason i always mention air flow first is, thats what i see the most.:)

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

No, I didn't take the temp as it was seemingly blowing air correctly. When you put a load of clothes in and set the cycle-for example-to low or lowest heat, after a few seconds when you stop the dryer and open the door, you can literally smell a "hot" smell, not a normal dryer smell. You can also feel that it's quite hot in the drum. Now I'm thinking the heating element might be involved. Am I looking at some serious bucks getting this repaired? I've always had long term and dependable service fromKenmore products.
Thanks,
P

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Ok, If you called me out to service it,to fix it, i always check the air flow and temperature's of the dryer.

I cant really tell what may be wrong without doing that.

If its getting that hot right after a few seconds, sounds like a restriction, or a bad blower wheel.

Sears will charge $65.00 to come out, and give u a estimate.

If you decide not to repair it, you still have to pay the $65.00, but he or she will give a $65.00 off coupon to use on the purchase of a new dryer.

The labor to fix a restriction, blower wheel, sensor, heating element is about $142.00 that includes the service call, but not any parts, if it needs them.

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Just an update.
I had Sears service out and it seems it is a timer that needs to be replaced. I opted to go ahead and buy a new dryer using the $65 coupon. The total repair bill was high enough to justify buying a new dryer. Why the srvice tech was here, he found a problem with the washer that if left unrepaired could have caused a lot of expense. It was a good visit by Sears. Thank you and all that helped me with your advice. This forum is very helpful.
Regards,
P

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Thanks Paterpull , im glad we can help.:cool:

Im glad it all worked out for you!

That $65.00 coupon is Gold, i give them out left and right! Its like getting a free service call when you redeem it at Sears.:cool:Plus its keeps Sears in business. After 11 years as a Monkey:) Ward Tech. and being 1 of the 35,000 laid off when they went bankrupt, I sure don't want to go through another bankruptcy with Sears, Heaven Forbid!:cool:

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

As a former shareholder in Sears, it disturbs me that this once great company has merged in a sense with K-Mart. With WalMart and Target dominating the retail sector, I hope the combined KMart-Sears company gets their act together and saves a lot of jobs. If, for no other reason, I hope they do for your sake and I have a feeling persons like you will always find employment.
best of luck and I'll post any results of my new dryer quest.
Pat:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Thanks Paterpull,

Yea, i hope the new merger with Sears and Kmart does well myself.

The one thing Sears has that keeps them above the water is the Craftsman tools and Kenmore Appliances, Walmart and Target can't touch these.

Appliance Service Techs are in high demand, so finding another job if i had to should go pretty well, Who knows maybe i can work for myself, Some of the local techs in my Metro Area are a joke!:shock:I hear all kinds of bad things they tell the consumer, and also how rude they can be, and mess up their appliances.

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Jake,
If this gets through..
I bought a new dryer but the local Sears store wouldn't take the 65 coupon and I had to almost sue them to get Sears to honor it. Good dryer...bad Sears experience.
pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Thats very odd that they didnt want to accept it. What was the reason they told you?

I have given out alot in the last 4 years, Never had anyone say that before.

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

The coupon clearly states that it is worth $65 off any replacement appliance over $399.00 and also good for a 40 delivery charge rebate or o% financing. I opted for the wash on the delivery charge. The dryers I was looking at were a 70 series at 379.00 (sale price) or a larger 80 series at $429.00 (also sale price). I knew I had to go with the 429 as it was the only one that fulfilled the "over $399.00" part of the coupon requirements. They told me I couldn't get the delivery rebate because "our registers have to show over $399.00 when all the rebates have been applied for you to get the rebates." I calmly and patiently informed them that this was not what "their" coupon stated. Long story short: The appliance manager was unfriendly, arrogant and pretty much treated me like I was bothering all of them. Even after he stood there and read the coupon word for word and agreed that I was correct, he still wouldn't do anything to help me and just said "sorry." I told him I was planning to go up the chain of command and he said gruffly and smart assedly: " well go ahead if you want to." I was leaving the store very upset when I decided to approach the store manager. He was out but I did speak with the asst. manager who also treated me like I was robbing them. She was unfriendly but did direct the appliance manager to take me back upstairs, give me the 65 discount and then another 40 off as customer satisfaction. All the while, she kept giving me a nasty look and stating that "I'm wrong for doing this and shouldn't do this..." blah blah blah. No apology, just icewater. I finally got the dryer and the proper coupon discount but not before they rang up the bill incorrectly and overcharged me 40 bucks. If I hadn't caught it, they wouldn't have. I left the store vowing to NEVER return to that Sears store. I contacted Sears corporate and had a long talk with a customer rep where I calmly and meticulously detailed my shopping experience. They were very apologetic and I was grateful for that. Anyway, I have a new Kenmore dryer and it works fine. The independent delivery guys were very nice and actually the most enjoyable part of the deal. I appreciate all your help and guidance during this ordeal which should have been easier but wasn't. The repair tech never did figure out what the original problem was but thought it could have been the timer as the thermostat was OK. It was heating 10 degerees too hot but that's enough to shrink our clothes. As for Sears I will say this: If I had gone to WalMart et. al. with a coupon that stated "Get 65 bucks off, free delivery and a giraffe" and when I got to WalMart found that the "giraffe" part was a typo, WalMart would have given me a giraffe and apologized to ME, the customer, for THEIR error. I just want honesty. I don't mind spending money for a product but this particular Sears store really blows!
Thanks again Jake.
Now, I have to get the microwave repaired. Guess who I'm not going to call?
Regards,
Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Thats very rare they would do that, Most of the posts here about Sears helping them is pretty favorable. Im Sorry you had to go through all that. I know the Sears store in my city treats people pretty fair, i never had any complaints about that coupon what so ever.

You did the right thing by contacting the corporate office, if they treat all the consumers like they treated you, the corporate office needs to know about it, so they can take action.

Hope who ever you call to fix the microwave will help get it going again, who knows someone may post something here that will help you out on the microwave. I rarely work on microwaves, because the TV techs at Montgomery Ward used to repair them, so i had little training, but im getting more now at Sears.

Jake

paterpull

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks Jake.
Yeah, I'm sorry about the bad experience I had....for everybody involved. If I was manager of that store I would have been more friendly and helpful than they were. I have managed large outlet stores in the past and while the customer is not always right, he or she are the ones that eventually pay the salaries. They were just one-level people at the Sears store in question and reminded me of the waiters on the Northern Amtrak routes.(another story for another time and place.) I have gotten some good microwave advice in another section of this forum and may just take the unit to a repair facility rather than risk a service call.
I'll figure it out.
Thanks again and best of luck to you.
I do believe that both KMart and Sears will be gone in ten years. Sad but possible in today's competative retail environment. I won't cry when the local store goes under but feel bad for the GOOD employees who will have to look for work elsewhere.
Regards,
Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Your welcome Pat,

Good Luck on the Microwave.:cool:

Jake