• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 70 series

cindylou

Premium Member
imported post

When removing a load from the dryer, I noticed the dryer sheet was filled with a black like soot substance. The vent inside the dryer where the heat comes out had burn stains around it. After removing the rear panel and outlet hose to be sure there was no lint or debris, I held held open the door and held down the switch so that when I press the start button the dryer would operate with the door open (temporarily and with fire extinguisher by my side). Inside the heating vent the coils gave off a very red glow...lots of heat. Is this normal? I'm not very technical but I was so stressed at the idea that a fire could have started while my kids and I were sleeping as I was just getting ready to start my last load in the dryer.

I called Sears and they said there were no recalls listed on this dryer...it's model #11060712990, MK3448372. They offered a service that for $169, I could have a service call, the item repaired (part price included), one year warranty and if there was still a problem after that that they would give me $500 toward a new dryer. Is this for real? If so I will take the offer but I told them that I was concerned about others who may have experienced the same thing and that it is something that should be looked into for recall. No one has called me back on it to get more information. Is this normal?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

cindylou wrote:
I held held open the door and held down the switch so that when I press the start button the dryer would operate with the door open. Inside the heating vent the coils gave off a very red glow...lots of heat. Is this normal?
Yes, dryer elements glow red hot normally and would probably glow even brighter with what you were doing. They will only remain in their normal temperature range (still very, very, very hot) when they get the proper air flow over them. Keeping the door open eliminated that air flow and would usually quickly burn out those elements if continued for even a minute.

They offered a service that for $169, I could have a service call, the item repaired, one year warranty and if there was still a problem after that that they would give me $500 toward a new dryer. Is this for real?
I have never heard of the $500 towards a new dryer but the repair and full year warranty offer for $170 has been discussed in the forums previously. It can be a very good deal.

that it is something that should be looked into for recall. No one has called me back on it to get more information. Is this normal?
Sounds about par to me. Unless and until someone with training/experience says there is a problem, you aren't likely to see too many companies jumping through hoops on just the word of a self admitted "not very technical" appliance owner.

BTW. If one of their own technicians or a local fire marshal said it was something to look into, they likely would. They just have to consider the source. I don't know how many times I've heard disillusioned appliance owners screaming for some sort of "recall" the first time an appliance acts up or fails and before it has even been looked into by someone that knows what's what.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

cindylou

Premium Member
imported post

Thank you for your time. I try to keep up on most of my appliances myself and have installed the dishwasher, sinks, toilets, etc. I am handy but I don't consider myself a technician by any means. ..which is what I meant by non technical. But I have followed the advice you have given to others and understand the things you mention and if I needed could have done such repairs. I am not a consumer that jumps at the word "recall" and have never submitted such a claim. If my action was considered stupid (holding the dryer open), thank you for informing me. I'm trying the best I can to provide a home for my children and learn as much handyman things as I can because the funds aren't always available to pay an estimate fee, labor and then parts...so I do the best I can to try to figure things out and also go one the web to research so I can make, hopefully, a wise decision as to repair or replace.

Thank you again for your reply.