Kenmore 790.36683501 door locked, won't unlock

dave60

Premium Member
I've got a Kenmore slide-in gas range (model 790.36683501).

The other day, it started beeping and the door locked light is blinking. Pressing cancel stops the beeping for a few minutes, but it starts again. We've tried pressing cancel 3 times, more times, holding cancel for 3 seconds, longer, and unplugging the range overnight. After a few minutes, it starts beeping again, so now it's unplugged and my wife can't use the oven. The display says "loc" and F93, which translates into "maximum door lock time exceeded". (Duh, that's accurate)

The last time she used the self-clean was a couple of months ago, and it has worked fine since then. This was just out of the blue, not after a cleaning cycle. She had baked something earlier in the day, and it worked fine. Then, later in the day it just started beeping.

I've taken the back panel and left side panel off, but can't figure out what to do next, as I have no technical manual.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly your oven door latch assembly.

With the back metal access panel off, then you will see your door lock/latch motor assembly with a metal rod attached to it.
(click to enlarge)
R0606067-00003.jpg

Door lock/latch motor assembly is #89.

Then plug your range back in, then push the little white buttons in on the micro-switches to see if it stops flashing "lock" and stops beeping.

If it does that means your latch lock assembly will need to be replaced.

Here's the door latch lock motor assembly for your model:
Frigidaire 318261230 Motor

Jake

dave60

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response. Now I just need to figure out how to get the top off. I can't get access to the part you mention (89) through the back nor the side. Also, 58a is not a hard box (like in the diagram) it is soft insulation. Hopefully, this is the right diagram...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the buttons on the micro-switches.

Jake

dave60

Premium Member
some progress...

I was able to gain access to the lock by going through the front, top - removing the control panel, etc.

I was then able to get the door open! Great!

I removed the lock mechanism. However, it wants to keep locking the door. I got it rotated to the open position but it keeps returning to the locked position. I got it back to the open position and unhooked the wires.

Now, with the wiring disconnected, the "Door Locked" light stays lit. I can't get it to go out. Pressing Cancel, etc. just activates the motor and it rotates all the way back to the locked position.

At one point, it had displayed code F91- maximum unlock attempts exceeded.

The stove top works, so my wife is at least able to use the stove, but (presumably) because the "Door Locked" light is on, the oven won't work.

How can I tell if it is the locking mechanism that is bad, or if there is some sensor somewhere that is causing it to always return to the locked position?

Also - I have no idea where the micro switches are located. But at this point, I'm not sure that matters. If I need to do something with them, please let me know where they are located. There are none on the lock mechanism - just one round, brown button that is depressed by the rotating white wheel that actuates the lock bar.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, on this model, you don't have the micro-switches.

There's no way to test that lock motor assembly that I'm aware of, I have always replaced them, and it solves the problem.

Jake