• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 790.36933905 - Oven works but display lights malfunction

ahnam

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Two days ago our oven, including display, turned off while baking. I checked the circuit box, and the breaker had been tripped, so I flipped it back and the oven turned back on.

Unfortunately, the display did not return to normal. Almost all of the lights (Bake, Broil, Clean, etc) stay on, despite the oven being off. In addition, parts of the clock/timer display are always lit, making it virtually impossible to read.

Any advice on how to repair? Should I just order a replacement part and move on? Anything else to try before spending the money? Is there a bigger issue?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you would just need to replace the clock oven control board.

Here's the clock oven control board for your model you can order:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ahnam

Premium Member
I replaced the control board, but unfortunately the oven doesn’t hold a temp. In hindsight that may have been the case after the initial problem started. What next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You never mentioned a problem with the oven not holding temperature.

So you had 2 problems?

Did the clock oven control board fix the lights display issue?

Jake

ahnam

Premium Member
It did! I didn’t realize the temperature wasn’t working. I think it probably happened at the same time as the other issue, but am not positive.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, got it! Thanks for clarifying that.

When you first turn the oven on, time how long it takes till you hear the gas/flame come on?

What I do is open the oven door first, then turn the oven on, then you should see your glow bar igniter thats located in the bottom of your oven(under the bottom oven panel) glow ORANGE then the gas/flame should come on within 45 to 60 seconds.

45 seconds in the normal average.

If it takes longer than 60 seconds, then it would be your oven igniter glow bar thats the culprit.

Here's the oven glow bar igniter for your model:
318177710 Igniter

Jake