• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 790.73433311 Oven heats Slow unless burners are on

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfti

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I moved into a new house and the burners work great. The oven heats slow/wont get up to temperature unless I am also using the burners on the stove. It works fine in those cases but cannot run by itself. The broiler also works fine

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you possibly need:
frigidaire-regulator-5304498819-ap5958956_01_l.jpg

pfti

Premium Member
after poking around the site, I noticed a lot of posts thought it was the ignition, but they didn't match my problem. Anything specific that led you to think it was the regulator? (will likely order the part in the morning). I am also just curious about the mechanics here.

rickgburton

Staff member
Gas supply connects to the regulator. Regulator has two lines "out". One connects to the surface manifold and one connects to the oven safety valve. The surface burners work without any problems. When you're using the surface burners you said:
It works fine in those cases
That tells us we can rule out the oven safety valve and igniter as being the problem. That just leaves the regulator, the only part common to both surface burners and oven. For some reason, when the surface burners are off, gas can't flow to the oven valve.

rickgburton

Staff member
pfti, There's a shut off mechanism on the valve. Maybe flip it a few times.

pfti

Premium Member
I ordered a valve, anything specific I need to know for replacing it. or any sealants or anything else I need?

pfti

Premium Member
So I replaced the regulator. When I tried to run the oven today it sat at about 120 degrees internal for a while. (15 or so minutes). As soon as I turned on a burner, I heard the gas kick in in the oven and it started warming up. It got to temperature, but then I had to turn the burner on to get the gas to kick back on to keep the heat up.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
It got to temperature, but then I had to turn the burner on
OK, sounds like it could be a weak igniter or safety valve. Turning the surface valve on must relieve enough pressure on the safety valve for it to open. Check the amount of amps the igniter draws when it's on. It needs to draw 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the safety valve. 3.2 amps or below, replace the igniter.
frigidaire-ignitor-5304509706-ap6230715_01_l.jpg

pfti

Premium Member
if it wasn't obvious, I am new to appliance work. Is there a best location to place the multimeter for a good reading?

I appreciate all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.