Kenmore 790 oven not warm enough

kziadie

Premium Member
I have an approximately 3 year old Kenmore electric range model 790.96412407. Within the past month or so the oven has not been heating properly... if you set the oven to 350 deg. at the end of the preheat cycle a thermometer only shows 260 deg. This is new behaviour as this oven has always if anything been a bit too hot. I tried changing the oven temperature sensor but that did not solve the problem. Both the old and new sensor show 1090 ohms resistance at room temperature. The bake element is showing continuity with a resistance of 15 ohms.

I am guessing that the control board is the problem. I am a bit hesitant to proceed for 2 reasons. One obviously is the cost of the control board. The second, which is more disturbing, is that when I started researching this problem on the internet I came across a multitude of stories of Kenmore model 790 oven elements heating out of control to the point of catching fire, sometimes without the unit being turned on from the panel. Although I have never seen any symptoms close to this, I would be messing with the same components.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It has to be the clock control board, as you tested the other parts are they are fine.

Here's the EOC for your model you can order:
Manufacturer part number 316452307 is RepairClinic item number 1157499

Remember only on our site can you shop with confidence as all parts ordered from our site come with a 30 day full refund even if it was installed and didn't fix it.

Jake