Kenmore 795.70333410 right fridge door pops open

Mikekim82

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Right fridge door pops open (less than half an inch) when we close the left door. Stays closed after we close it. Just tried replacing the gasket and door contacts are clean. Door load hasn’t changed.
Saw another thread about replacing the cam, but I don’t think this fridge uses a bump/lift system. Has a kind of plastic hook type thing.
Anyone have any ideas?
Kenmore 79570333410
Thx in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your right I don't see a door cam closer on the right front door, here's the parts diagram: Parts for Kenmore 795.70333410: Door Parts

What I do to make the right front door close by itself is raise the front 2 wheels/legs to have a slight tilt back.

Jake

Mikekim82

Thx. Tilting didn’t seem to do much. However the piece which seemed broken was the door closed plastic hook (https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/3yl9g6okgk-0046-795/id-mjb62830601).
There is a small nub of grey plastic coming from the door bottom to help secure that and it broke. Turns out the nub is hollow, and a whittled down lollipop stick (whittled to 1/16 inch) works great as a filler to reinforce it. So 5 minutes and one lollipop later, the problem is fixed!

Also, the part link I gave above is supposed to be right, but the image in it is slightly different from what I have. Not sure if it’s jusg the wrong picture, or wrong part reference...

Attached are some pictures of the lollipop solution..

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mike, glad you found the problem.:)

There is a small nub of grey plastic coming from the door bottom to help secure that and it broke. Turns out the nub is hollow, and a whittled down lollipop stick (whittled to 1/16 inch) works great as a filler to reinforce it. So 5 minutes and one lollipop later, the problem is fixed!
Did you think that lollipop stick will hold up? Seems to me you'd need something more solid.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Mikekim82 said:
the part link I gave above is supposed to be right, but the image in it is slightly different from what I have. Not sure if it’s just the wrong picture, or wrong part reference...
I think the grey portion is part of a separate component and not part the hook itself. I can't tell from the parts breakdown but maybe it's diagram reference 243K "Bush" AP5978064 / MBF62424301? ("Bush" might be short for 'bushing'?) Unfortunately I can't find a picture of that actual part to be sure.

F1408022-00005-Bush.jpg

JFYI

Last edited: