• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 795.76203.901 Ice buildup in bottom of freezer compartment. Ice cubes frozen together

pkeam

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,
My Kenmore has a bottom freezer. Ice builds up in bottom of freezer compartment. AND Ice cubes in ice maker bin freeze together into solid block of ice. I've read that this is due to clogged defrost drain tube from freezer compartment. The defrost tray beneath fridge is dry.
I've tried using a hair dryer but I'm not sure where to direct it.
Can I just turn off the FREEZER and ice maker only and keep top refrigerator running to let this thaw out??
Thanks so much

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can I just turn off the FREEZER and ice maker only and keep top refrigerator running to let this thaw out??
Unfortunately not.

Your Kenmore 795 is made by LG.

Here's the video: LG Refrigerator Disassembly

Start At about the 5:38 mark of the video, it shows you how to remove the freezer back access panel, then you will see the metal drain trough with the drain hole in the middle of it underneath your freezer evaporator coil, just melt that ice with a hair dryer and hot water, then run something down the drain hole. Or use compressor air to blow the drain hole clear.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake to run down that defrost drain hole: https://www.azpartsmaster.com/products/24-evaporative-cooler-flexible-spider-snake_913

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Then run hot water and a little bleach down the defrost drain hole.

That should fix it for many years to come.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

pkeam

Premium Member
Jake, thank so much for your helpful reply. I'll now be able to address the problem
Peter

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Peter.(y)

Jake