• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 795.79293.900 vent at the bottom of the freezer, freezes closed with ice

JohannB123

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello everyone. My parents have a Kenmore model 795.79293.900 refrigerator.

Every few weeks, the vent at the bottom of the freezer that allows cold air to flow down into the refrigerator freezes closed with ice. The only way to restore the flow of cold air to the refrigerator is to remove the back panel of the freezer and run it under hot water to clear the blockage. I've consulted Kenmore's "Use and Care Guide" to no avail.

Perhaps somebody here can help me understand what the problem is?

Thank you for reading this.

Attachments

• Kenmore.pdf
    19.3 MB · Views: 61

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That usually indicates you have a air leak coming in, check the door gaskets for a tight seal ALL AROUND the refrigerator door. That warm kitchen air goes directly to those vents and forms condensation, thus frost and ice build up in the air ducts going into the refrigerator section.

Here is a good example of a bad door gasket:

torngasket.gif

Jake

JohannB123

Premium Member
Hi Jake. Thank you for replying! I really appreciate it.

I'll have them check the door gaskets. However, if they aren't the issue, perhaps you know what else might be?

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It could also be a drain trough clog under the evaporator coil, run hot water down the drain hole and see if the water empties into the drain pan underneath the refrigerator.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.