• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 796.40318900 loud spin

CarC

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Washer makes loud noise when in spin cycle. When the washer was empty I manually rotated the drum. Sounded like like dry bearing rolling around. Definitely not smooth. I read the manual about the lifetime warranty for the drum. But it didn't specifically the drum with the bearings. Do you know if the model I have qualifies?
Thanks
Carl

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

CarC

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Last year's problem was loud noise, no spin. This year is just an very loud whirling sound when it spins. And when I manually spin the drum, it feels like it is rolling over bumps. The wash gets done and we haven't noticed anything different about the wash, but it is very loud. No banging or leaking, just very loud like an airplane or something.
Thanks
Carl

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

CarC

Premium Member
Rotor bolt keeps coming loose.
Re-tighten and comes loose after a few revolutions.THen makes loud scraping noise but I am assuming that is because the rotor is not spinning as it should because of the bolt.
Thanks for any suggestions
Carl

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

CarC

Premium Member
Apologies, apologies. By the time a feel comfortable saying something is fixed for good, something else breaks and I'm off in another direction. Yes the bearings worked perfectly and the instructions were spot on. This fixed also worked but I am a bit concerned. I feel as though I might have pushed the limit on tightening the bolt. Just as I started to let up, I could feel it just start to get easier, like it does when you strip something. It is working now, but just in case that comes up later and I striped the threads, what part would that be? Not the bolt but what it goes into.
Thanks for all the help.
You guys are the best.
Carl

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Carl!

That bolt goes into the spider arm support assembly.

Here it is for your model(Video Included):
4434ER0002D Spider

Jake

CarC

Premium Member
The exact reason I never say a job is done....eventually it will break again. After doing multiple(maybe 7 total) loads, the bolt came loose 2 days after I declared victory. When I checked it, the bolt felt tight but the drum was moving. Maybe I didn't tighten it enough the 1st time. I reapplied the thread lock and tightened down real hard, having someone else hold the rotor. We'll see in a couple days. Suggestions?
Thanks
Carl

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Carl, yes keep us posted.

Jake