• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 80 series 110.20832990 fills, won’t agitate, spin or drain. Timer ticks. No motor noise

Justg

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore 80 series washer fills and then nothing. No motor noise, but timer ticks. Replaced motor coupling, agitator dogs about 2 months ago. The motor, transmission and clutch looked fine. After that it wouldn’t spin in the spin cycle, just drained. It then spun properly when I twisted the timer dial all the way back to the spin cycle. Last week it stopped doing anything but filling. So I replaced the timer and there was no change. I’ve checked all the wires and nothing seems broken or loose. So I’ve got a volt ohm meter, a circuit diagram and no idea how to use them. Please help.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the machine or disconnect the lid switch connector. Set your meter on the lowest ohms scale or R-X-1 and the check the lid switch for continuity.
Continuity.jpg

whirlpool-washer-lid-switch-wp3949238-ap6008880_01_m.jpg

Attachments

• Continuity.jpg
    Continuity.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 15

Justg

Premium Member
Thank you for replying Rick. The wires to the lid switch are glued in to the switch. Do I need to strip the wires? I forgot to mention on my original post that the lid switch makes the timer stop, so the switch seems to be working.

Justg

Premium Member
Thank you for replying Rick. The wires to the lid switch are glued in to the switch. Do I need to strip the wires? I forgot to mention on my original post that the lid switch makes the timer stop, so the switch seems to be working.
I tried to edit my post to say “so the switch seems to be working.” But I don’t know if the edit worked.

rickgburton

Staff member
So I’ve got a volt ohm meter, a circuit diagram
OK, post a good clean pic of the wiring diagram here. I'll give you some test points so make sure you know how your meter works.

Justg

Premium Member
This is the best I could do. The diagram I had before was for the dryer.

Attachments

• 82C6C522-6F41-43CD-AEE3-BAE23EDC4E2B.jpeg
    82C6C522-6F41-43CD-AEE3-BAE23EDC4E2B.jpeg
    910.4 KB · Views: 23

rickgburton

Staff member
Is that the wiring diagram that came with the machine? I need to see the entire diagram. I don't see the right side. If that's not the wiring diagram that came with the machine let me know. They're all different.

Justg

Premium Member
Is that the wiring diagram that came with the machine? I need to see the entire diagram. I don't see the right side. If that's not the wiring diagram that came with the machine let me know. They're all different.
There was no diagram on the machine. This is what I could find online for the 80 series.

rickgburton

Staff member
This is what I could find online for the 80 series.
No good. Too many different models for the 80 series.
There was no diagram on the machine.
Look for an envelope taped to the inside of the cabinet or in the console assembly. I have been looking for it online but so far no joy.

Justg

Premium Member
We have every bit of paperwork from buying it 23 years ago. There is no envelope anywhere on or in the machine. The repair manual (p/n LIT4314044) and the wiring diagram (p/n LIT3953158) do not show up as an available item anywhere I’ve looked. Sad that. It’s been such a good washer, and I’d been able to fix every breakage until now.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, unplug the machine. If the tub is still full of water check for continuity on the water level switch across the violet wire and the tan wire. (Remove one of those wires from the switch). If the tub is empty, blow through the pressure switch hose until it clicks the check for continuity.

Check for 120 VAC at the motor across the orange wire going to the motor and the white wire going to the motor

Justg

Premium Member
There is continuity across the lavender and brown wires going into the pressure switch.

I prepared to test the motor voltage by jumping both the pressure switch and the lid switch. When I plugged in the machine, it filled (although I didn’t allow it to fill very far) and agitated, drained, and spun in all cycles. Here’s the kicker. I put the cabinet back on and it wouldn’t agitate and only spun during the rinse cycle. I plugged the pressure switch back in and it filled, spun and drained, but didn’t agitate.

rickgburton

Staff member
There is continuity across the lavender and brown wires going into the pressure switch.
Only when the tub is full of water. When empty there should be no continuity.
When I plugged in the machine, it filled and agitated, drained, and spun in all cycles
I put the cabinet back on and it wouldn’t agitate
OK, right off the bat I'd say there was a loose connection somewhere.
I replaced the timer
How long ago? Was it new? Check the timer connector is all the way on. You need to take some volt and ohm measurements instead of shorting wires together.

Justg

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your help and time. We have discovered the problem. The transmission is flinging a fine mist of oil on some of the wires. Im sure this is because my husband insisted on taking apart the transmission when I replaced the motor coupling. He’s promised that when I say something mechanical is not broken he won’t try to fix it. Now we get to buy a new washing machine.