• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED kenmore 80 series gas dryer not getting hot

baddad13

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
hope this helps. my gas service was disconnected for servicing a couple of days. My daughter did not know this,she put a load in. as she did this she heard 2 pops from the dryer. Now it doesn't get hot. I was told to look through the little sight hole to see if i see any glow, i didn't. I've researched this to find out it could be a number of issues. This just confuses me. Is this a common repair? What could it be? I don't want to start replacing parts without narrowing it down. Thanks for any feed back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

baddad13

Premium Member
Ok, another update. already changed the ignitor,which glows now. just finished replacing the thermal fuse and the 2 little solinoids on the burner. Turned the gas back on and still no heat or flame. am i missing something? so far i've replaced everything this forum says. thank God it wasn't expensive. Can someone please put me in the right direction? Going to bed now with an angry wife. Thanks for any feedback.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you sure the gas is on to the dryer? Turn the gas supply line valve off then unhook the gas line then turn on the gas supply line valve and see if gas comes out, thats the only thing it could be.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Lets check your flame sensor.

Ok, make sure your dryer is unplugged, then take the wires off the flame sensor and check that for continuity.

Here's the flame sensor, it mounts on the side of your gas burner tube:
Manufacturer part#338906 is RepairClinic item#2681

[video=youtube;BHDFeNrZ98U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHDFeNrZ98U&feature=player_embedded[/video]

baddad13

Premium Member
When I bought the other parts at the repair shop, i took that part and they tested and said it as good. but after watching that video, I'm going to have to borrow one of those testers today and test it myself. At this point I hope that it is bad. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help so far Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes keep us posted.

Jake

baddad13

Premium Member
Ok, just tested the flame sensor. It has continuity, but it fluctuates between 5 and 10 ohms. doesn't go to zero. does that mean it's bad or going bad? should it still make the burner go on?

baddad13

Premium Member
k, retested flame sensor. looks in good shape. Have a cheap tester, wasn't holding the leads tightly. proceeded to look for messed up wiring. found that the white lead was burned through from the burner orfice. fixed that and still the same thing. no heat. Thought maybe I messed up the thermo fuse. tested it and still good. I don't know where to go next. At a complete loss. Why isn't anyone else have this problem? If you guys help me get this fixed, you are Gods to me. I could just buy another one but i'm on a mission now. This thing won't beat me. sorry just gotta laugh now. Appreciate any suggestions.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

baddad13

Premium Member
I understand. How about that part that's underneath the thermo fuse? the one with the 4 wires to it? could that maybe a problem? how do I test that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that wouldn't be the problem, thats the cycling thermostat, if that was bad the igniter won't even glow.

Jake

baddad13

Premium Member
Just wanted to come here and give last update. I got it fixed. turns out the thermo switch which controls the solinoids to the burner was stuck. did a little tap with the end of my screwdriver and wham, got gas and flame. I just want to say thanks Jake for the responses and helping me narrow this down. I recommend this sight to anybody with appliance problems. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You mean the thermal fuse? I don't see a thermal switch on your model.

Jake

baddad13

Premium Member
I'm sorry I meant the flame sensor. A little tap and it scared the hell outa me. thought i broke the igniter. because it went out and than I got heat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But we already tested the flame sensor.:)

If the contacts inside the flame sensor are just sticking at times, then it will eventually do it again until you replace it.:)

Jake