• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore 80 series, gas, no heat

thadpole

Premium Member
imported post

I have a Kenmore 80 gas dryer. The burner will fire when you first start it. But it will not cycle on again until you shut the dryer off and restart it. The ignitor kicks on for a few seconds but the burner doesn't fire. I have checked the resistance of the valve coils and the continuity of the flame sensor. Both are fine.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**Kenmore 80 gas dryer**

Just a name and not a model#

**The burner will fire when you first start it. But it will not cycle on again - The ignitor kicks on for a few seconds but the burner doesn't fire.**

Any buzzzzing noises from the gas valve when the flame quits? Most/many times when the flame will work once or twice and then fail and the ignitor only comes on and off but no flame is bad coils on the gas valve. They heat up and quit, once cooled down they may work once or twice again and refail.

A common coil kit for many Kenmore dryers

jeff.

thadpole

Premium Member
imported post

Yep, I could hear one of the coils buzz... not sure which one. I checked the resistances on the coils and they are very close to spec. But, what you said makes sense. I have to let it cool down. I don't understand why I have to completely shut it off to let it cool down. It gets plenty of cool air when the motor is turning and the burner isn't going, but it still doesn't fire up. On average, it has to be completely shut off about 3 minutes before it can be restarted. Again, the flame only burns for a few minutes.

The model is 110-76812695. It was a cheap dryer, but I can't complain, it's lasted eight years trouble free! I know I should just listen to my wife and buy another dryer... but that would make me a quitter.

I'm going to order the coils for sure. Any other possibilities?

Thank you!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

**I'm going to order the coils for sure. Any other possibilities?**

Good. A bad valve itself.

**I don't understand why I have to completely shut it off to let it cool down. It gets plenty of cool air when the motor is turning and the burner isn't going**

Most still have power comming to or even through thecoils even when the flame is not onand shutting the entire dryer off would stop that.

jeff.