• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore 80 series will not start

jgibbs88

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Dryer will not start when I push the start button. There a grinding noise coming from behind the control panel when i push the start button. The light inside the dryer works that it. Any clue what it might be? Thanks

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A grinding noise or just a ticking noise? Any hummmming noise?

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A- Common problems...blown house fuse/tripped breaker ( electric dryers need 2 )...loose white/neutral wire...broken belt ( on some models only )...door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open ( venting needs attention )...broken or burnt wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch ( especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

* If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the venting system and vent hood first.

Thermal-Fuse-3392519-00882790.jpg LINK> Thermal fuse. If the dryer overheats, this device stops the flow of electricity to the heat source and/or the entire dryer. It is located on the blower housing and cannot be reset

[video=youtube;3nicyh6EUHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3nicyh6EUHc[/video]

Door-Switch-279347-00928734.jpg LINK> Standard lid/door switch kit, 3-wire switch

[video=youtube;RTmPSXdExhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RTmPSXdExhw[/video]

jeff.

jgibbs88

Premium Member
Its like a clicking/grinding cycling noise when I hold the start button in. If I hold the button in and open dryer door( when light comes on) its stops making that noise. Its been working fine until today.

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
Its like a clicking/grinding cycling noise
That just sounds like the timer motor running....makes a clicking/clacking noise, that is normal.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update.

jeff.