Kenmore 90 series dryer dead...help!

fixitdad

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This started after I decided to clean the vent. It would stop drying midway. I opened the door, held the door switch and pressed the start button. Would not turn over, but it would if I turn the drum manually. Closed door and it started but then stopped shortly after that. I then proceeded and opened the front panel and cleaned the lint trap and surrounding area. I have not opened up the back of the dryer yet. Then I pushed the start button, it would buzz and later just clicking noise. The drum never turns over. Anyone have an idea?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I opened the door, held the door switch and pressed the start button. Would not turn over, but it would if I turn the drum manually.
Check to make sure none of the drum supports are seizing holding the motor back from running and make sure nothing is jammed in the fan blower but it more sounds like the motor is going sour :(

LINK> Whirlpool, Inglis and Kenmore Dryer Motor Problems | Appliance Aid

Drive-Motor-279787-00858788.jpg Motor, dryer drum drive Manufacturer Number 279787

[video=youtube;tm1ZCiAnxto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tm1ZCiAnxto[/video]

jeff.

fixitdad

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply. The fan blower moves freely,but squeaks a little. What are the drum supports. Do I have to totally disassemble?

jeff1

Staff member
What are the drum supports. Do I have to totally disassemble?
#21 in the pic here.
Slip the belt off, turn the drum by hand.

Lower bottom front panal comes off for a peek.

jeff.

fixitdad

Premium Member
Thanks jeff, I'll try it tonight....remove front panel, slip off belt and turn. got it. so if it turns...does it mean a bad motor. doesn't have anything to do with a thermal fuse does it.

jeff1

Staff member
so if it turns...does it mean a bad motor.
Points to that yes.

doesn't have anything to do with a thermal fuse does it.
Nope, things go dead when a thermal fuse lets go.

jeff.

fixitdad

Premium Member
I removed the front bottom panel, but couldn't figure out how to slip off the belt. I checked the rollers and they had lint over them and I cleared them and I turned the drum and it moves (with belt still on). Plugged it in again and it still buzzes but doesn't turn. Is turning the drum with the belt on as turning the drum with the belt off?

jeff1

Staff member
As long as you can see them turning freely....should be good enough.

jeff.

fixitdad

Premium Member
yes, I can see them turn freely. so I guess it's the motor. the question now is ...is it worth replacing the motor or buy a new one. is the dryer at the point where things will start to fail. how much does a new motor cost...

jeff1

Staff member
how much does a new motor cost...
Motor, dryer drum drive Manufacturer Number 279787

What we usually recomend to customers is if the repair cost is 50% or more of the cost of a new one....replace it with a new one.
Many other things can happen/break....but without a crystal ball no one knows when....most dryers will last 12-15 years or so.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member

jeff1

Staff member