Kenmore 90 Series Washer Still Not Spinning After Clutch Change

mitsuman

Premium Member
Model Number
not available
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Recently the washer started making some loud humming/whining type noises and it would not spin. The machine agitates, although does not spin on the spin cycle.

Things I have done so far:

Checked the coupling (all good, replaced about a year ago)
Replaced clutch with new clutch
let the machine go through a full washing cycle

The machine fills and drains just fine. If I spin the tub manually during the spin cycle, certain positions of the tub cause the noise to go louder and quieter. I also noticed, that if I hold the clutch basket in place when all the way down the shaft, I can spin the trans and I feel the gears trying to grab but it seems that they are slipping, if I pull out the clutch a ½ inch and try to spin the trans it grabs the clutch and I cant hold it in place.

Does that sound like I need a new trans? It seems like the basket sits as far down the shaft as possible when everything is together, and the trans might just be bad.

Thanks and hopefully this helps someone else too as I couldn’t find info on my exact issue…

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We would need the model number of your washer.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Do you see the clutch turning when it should be spinning in the spin cycle?

If its not turning, your gearcase is shot. I've changed hundreds of gearcase assemblies, but never have gone into replacing parts inside the gearcase itself. If you have time on your hands and want to try to go inside the gearcase and fix it, here's a thread I can refer you to: FIXED Whirlpool Ultimate Care II - Not engaging in spin cycle

Here's the gearcase for your model you can order:
Transmission 3360629

There is a video when you click the transmission part.

Jake