• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore bottom freezer 253.70423411 test defrost cycle?

dougjohnson72

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Friend gave me the fridge, says keeps freezing up so much the freezer won't open. When I picked it up, sure enough, bottom freezer drawer wouldn't open. Took it home and let it sit under the carport unplugged for a couple weeks. Just now getting a chance to check it out. All ice gone of course, first thing I checked was that the evaporator fan was running and it was. Then checked to make sure the drain wasn't clogged. It wasn't. However there was a plastic straw cover (like those in a Capri sun type drink) laying across the drain... I guess it's possible this could have been clogging the drain but I don't think it was large enough to do so. So I looked for a defrost timer and all I can find is a control board under the bottom. So my question is, how do I test to see what the problem was / is? Thanks in advance.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I guess it's possible this could have been clogging the drain but I don't think it was large enough to do so.

Just needs to be a restriction and slow the defrost water from running away fast enough.

So my question is, how do I test to see what the problem was / is?

Let it run.

Friend gave me the fridge, says keeps freezing up so much the freezer won't open.

Freezing up with frost? Freezing up with ice?
Defrost frost would likely only be on the back wall and wouldn't stop the door. Frost all over in the freezer could indicate the door not being closed or possible a bad gasket. Ice would likely go onto the freezer floor and out the bottom of the door.

jeff sr.

dougjohnson72

Premium Member
What I mean by "how do I test" is on the older units that had a regular manual defrost timer, you could mark the position of the timer and check back a little later to see if it has moved. You also could test continuity of the defrost timer terminals and also manually put it in defrost mode to test to see if the heaters were coming on. Etc. Is there any way to force it into defrost mode?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You will need to find the tech sheet that comes with the refrigerator for information if there is any defrost test mode available....many do and many do not.

Most times with the electronic controls today we ohm the defrost thermostat (if used), ohm the defrost thermister (if used) and ohm the defrost heater....if these pass we just replace the defrost control board.

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.