• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Coldpoint 106.70219410 evaporator fan turning slowly

eryk-white

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The fan in the freezer section of the refrigerator (evaporator fan?) turns at about 20 rpm... Thinking that all I need is a new fan but some of the other posts about this issue suggest that there may be a control unit for the system as well. This is a pretty plain vanilla system (and no, I have not checked the voltages yet... I pulled the freezer apart and checked for frost build up then noticed the fan.. didn't think about voltages until the thing was back together )

Does this model have a control panel of some sort that may need to be replaced as well, or is it just a simple thermistor and such?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

eryk-white

Premium Member
Thank you! So the slow motor speed is unlikely to be caused by anything other than a blown motor?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
So the slow motor speed is unlikely to be caused by anything other than a blown motor?
There are no electrical components that would be responsible for reduced speed, no.

I've never heard of an evaporator fan going that slow but I guess its bearings could be 'tight' limiting its rotation speed. There could however also be external factors like something rubbing on it or its fan blade.

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

eryk-white

Premium Member
No, the fan spins easily, doesn't rub against anything. .. well, I'm waiting on the new fan. I'll post the results on Thursday. .

Neil_858

Premium Member
i have the same model# fridge however my evaporator fan is not running. how do i put the fridge in diagnostic mode to test the evaporator fan? the coils in the freezer have frost built-up on coils but the temp in fridge is very low probably caused by evaporator fan not circulating the air from freezer to fridge.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Start your own message

how do i put the fridge in diagnostic mode
It is even an electronically control model??? That's the only kind of appliance that has a diagnostic mode.

to test the evaporator fan?
There are two ways to test a 120 volt motor, check it for continuity (see the following link) or test to see if power is getting to it. NO continuity = bad motor. Power to motor but not running = probably defective motor.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

the coils in the freezer have frost built-up on coils
If it is frosting excessively, you may have a defrost system problem.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

the temp in fridge is very low probably caused by evaporator fan not circulating the air from freezer to fridge.
That would usually cause the refrigerator compartment temperature to be higher than normal, not lower.

Testing on a "live" appliance can be dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing, I strongly suggest you call a professional!

If you need further assistance with your problem, it might be best to start your own message rather than adding to this one. That will keep all discussion in the thread to the same appliance.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited:

Neil_858

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply.

I was able to test that 120V signal from control board to evap fan, so fan was defective. Replaced evap fan and now fan is running. Hopefully that was the culprit. But cold air is now circulating in freezer and down below to fridge.

:triumphant::very_drunk: