• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore ColdSpot 106.50023211 water dispenser failed. THEN ice maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepontif

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The description pretty much covers it. My daughter changed the filter in the fridge...she said she felt something go "crunch" and the filter wouldn't go in. She reoriented it and got it in, but the water dispenser stopped working...MOSTLY. I'd still get the occasional meager trickle, but that was about it. It was never right, since. I tried a different filter, but nothing.

Some time later (a year or more), the ice maker stopped making ice. We do use a lot of ice.

THEN, more recently, the water dispenser strangely sorta starting working a little better, but water was leaking into the wood floor. (Yes I know what you're probably thinking, and you're right...a wood floor in the kitchen has turned out to be a mistake.)

At this point I was relegated to shutting off the water supply to the fridge, which is located in the basement.

I've done absolutely zero diagnosing other than researching online.

I'm pretty savvy with these kinds of repairs, generally, but no information is never a good thing.
Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like the water filter housing broke. Was the water leak coming from the filter housing? Turn the water back on and get a flashlight and remove the lower front kickplate grille and see.

Here's the water filter housing for your model:
W10862460 Housing

This video shows you how to replace it:

Jake

thepontif

Premium Member
Hi Jake. This obviously didn't get taken care of very expediently. My 80 y/o mom got covid and things were temporarily thrown into chaos. All good now, after a few months of recovery. So please forgive me if I appeared rude enough not to thank you for your advice. And thank you!

I looked underneath the front and I don't see a leak from the filter housing. However, upon turning on the water, the water dispenser mysteriously started working, albeit with no filter installed. I guess the housing redirects the water around the filter when there's no filter installed?

However, I did see a drip drip drip coming from the inlet valve, of which I could get a clear glimpse of from the front.

So I ordered an inlet valve, and I went ahead and ordered a new filter housing as well. Simply because I couldn't test it with a filter installed, and my daughter did tell me she heard something "crunch" once when changing it. Plus the thing is really shoehorned into the space it sits in due to a sloppy counter tiling job, so moving it in and out is a major production. I only wanna do it once.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I guess the housing redirects the water around the filter when there's no filter installed?
That is correct.

So I ordered an inlet valve, and I went ahead and ordered a new filter housing as well. Simply because I couldn't test it with a filter installed, and my daughter did tell me she heard something "crunch" once when changing it. Plus the thing is really shoehorned into the space it sits in due to a sloppy counter tiling job, so moving it in and out is a major production. I only wanna do it once.
Sounds good. Yes, keep us posted.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model in case others need it too:
WPW10179146 Valve-Inlt

Jake

thepontif

Premium Member
Whelp yeah, that did it. It's working great, and was very easy to do. I'm more accustomed to working on German cars (step one: remove engine), so by comparison this was a walk in the park!
Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent good job, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.