• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Coldspot 106.54586401 does not cool or make Ice

sts209

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have the Kenmore Coldspot Model # 10654586401 which does not cool or make Ice

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You should be able to tell if the compressor is running. It makes a noise Put your hand on it and feel for the vibration.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If its the Starter, do you suggest purchasing complete Kit and is this the one ....8201799 Compressor Start Device Kit
You model uses this one:
8201786 Compressor Starting Device Kit

Here's our main thread on this compressor start device relay:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We are glad to help, let us know what you find.

Jake

sts209

Premium Member
Jake, I have been out of town for a bit......I tried repairing the Kenmore before I left but still the same. The guy who did the repair back in 16 from Sears either left out a bunch of items or he Jury rigged the thing to run....I took pictures which I will try and upload tomorrow ....just got off a 12 and kinda tired....but....I'm off tomorrow. I would like to figure out what happened with your help....it ran good for over 2 years.....then just stopped, any help would be appreciated as I am one of those guys who likes to fix things on his own.....Thanks Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its very simple, If the compressor is running and its not cooling at all then you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

sts209

Premium Member
I had purchased and attempted to repair the Kenmore with no Luck. I was just a bit confused as to what I found before doing so. I purchased a compressor start kit. The thing is when got inside the machine, there were a lot of items I did not see. I will attach photos of what I saw and what I replaced. The only Item I saw to replace, was the PTC, the cover was not even installed. There were 2 different types, maybe i installed the wrong one, there were no other components there??? symptoms are still the same. I am back for a while now ans maybe with your help and a little luck....might be able to get her going, Thanks so much!!!!(y)

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If we take the time to write a post it's only fair that you take the time to read it. Don't you agree? Go back and read post #10 and Post #17 again. If the compressor was running to begin with, then replacing the start device is a waste of time and money. If the compressor was not running then you need to use a DMM and check for 120 VAC across the two wires going to the compressor. If the compressor is running and the refrigerator is not cooling at all, it's time for a new refrigerator. The repair costs for your refrigerator will be way more than the machine is worth.

sts209

Premium Member
I will do just that when I have some free time, Thank you for taking the time to answer....I did have some victories this weekend....replaced one of my toilets and repaired the garage opener, once again, thank you and I will let you know how it goes!!!:)