Kenmore ColdSpot 106.58904802 Freezer works but the fridge does not

LoveYou

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi guys how's it going? I have a Kenmore Coldspot who's model number is 106.58904802. Freezer works fine, fridge isn't working. I think I have an idea why because I skimmed through the owners manual. Help would be very much appreciated, so much. Thank you.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure both fans are working, the evaporator fan motor in the freezer and condensor fan motor by the compressor. Check for any frost build up on the evaporator cover. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor running hot usually indicates a problem.

LoveYou

Premium Member
IMG_20181008_173416781.jpg

I'm trying to get to where the compressor is an all of that stuff but there's like a cover that's bolted down blocking my access to the compressor and all of that at the bottom behind the fridge.
I'll post a reply of the bolt after.
What's the name of that part in my fridge in the picture for this reply? Is it the evaporator fan?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
There's a cardboard cover over the machine compartment that you'll need to remove. It's important that it's installed back in place when done. The condensor coils need to be clean without a lot of dust build up or the machine won't cool. Here's a diagram I made for you.
Ref components.jpg

LoveYou

Premium Member
I can't get the nut off so I can access all those components in the back under of the fridge.

Flat head screw driver isn't cutting it ( it might be to thin or just rusted on there or something i don't know), how the hell do I unscrew this nut?

nut.jpg mystery nut.jpg

Also this isn't referring to anything it's pretty random but when I put my hand here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40005&d=1539035568 when the freezer is open I feel cold air come through that, when closed no cold air. Is that the air damper or the fan that blows cool air into the fridge, if it's the fan than that's suppose to be blowing cool air in right?

It's not, only when I open the freezer do I feel some cool air but not enough to cool the fridge, but some does come out when I have the freezer is open.

rickgburton

Staff member
It's a 1/4" screw so you need a 1/4" nut driver.nutdriver.jpg Are you on a mobile device? Can you see the image I made you in post #4?

LoveYou

Premium Member
I have not been posting here lately because I am waiting for my 1/4th nut driver. For some reason my fridge just started working out of no where, but now it's not cold enough to keep milk cold so it doesn't go bad, though it is not warm like before. I have the setting which as a max of 5 and a recomended setting of 3, I set it it to 4 by the way. No that's not what caused it to start working, I don't know why it's suddenly working again. I need to get my fridge to be colder now and we're all good.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I think you missed a few things so I'll go over them one at a time with you;

1) First, take the front grill under the doors off and look and see if there is any dust build up under the machine.

2) Open the freezer door and look at the back wall. About half way down from the top there's a bump in the top of the evaporator cover. This is where the evaporator fan motor is located. You should be able to hear the fan motor running and feel air blowing out of the vent holes at the top of the evaporator cover. You might need to hold the door switch in to hear the fan.

3) Look on the evaporator cover below the bump and check for any frost build up. Use your hand to feel for frost.

4)Pull the machine away from the wall and go behind it. If you haven't removed the cardboard cover over the machine compartment you should be able to hear the compressor running and you should be able to feel if air is blowing out of the holes in the cover or blowing out of the front when you remove the grill below the doors. That will tell you if the condensor fan motor is working. The condensor fan motor is a quiet motor so if you hear a motor running it's probably the compressor running.

Here's a diagram to help you:
FZ Comp.jpg

LoveYou

Premium Member
Ok, before I go trying to fix my fridge, is there anything that I should know about my safety? what's something that's a huge no no? and can I get electrocuted trying to fix my fridge?

LoveYou

Premium Member
Ok the condenser fan motor is working because I felt cool air coming out when I removed the grill, will this work for me ? Why does this fix work? Will it fix my fridge?

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Staff member
How would I know?? I don't know what the problem is with your machine yet. Sixteen days and ten posts ago I asked you:
rickgburton said:
Make sure both fans are working, the evaporator fan motor in the freezer and condensor fan motor by the compressor. Check for any frost build up on the evaporator cover. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor running hot usually indicates a problem.
.....and so far the only thing you've told me is the condensor fan is working. Go back and read post #8 again

LoveYou

Premium Member
I honestly don't know what you want me to do to fix my fridge, I did go to the back where the evaporator cover is and take away some of the dust. I can't get the grill off and I don't know why I need to anyway? I think that video might fix that problem but I don't want to mess anything up and that's why I asked you but you didn't really give me an answer?

rickgburton

Staff member
I honestly don't know what you want me to do to fix my fridge,
You can't fix your refrigerator until we know what's wrong with it. I can't tell you what's wrong with it until I know what's working and what's not working. I asked you to tell me what's working and what's not working in my first post. Is the evaporator fan working?- no answer yet. Is there any frost on the evaporator cover?- no answer yet. Is the compressor running hot?- no answer yet. Are the condensor coils packed with dust?- no answer yet

I did go to the back where the evaporator cover is and take away some of the dust.
The evaporator cover is not in the back of the machine. The evaporator cover is in the freezer section. I thought you might have some problem with the terminology so in my 2nd post (post#4) I made you a diagram showing you where everything is and name of the parts. Maybe you missed it so I'll post it again. I also said if the condensor coils under the machine are covered with dust build up the refrigerator won't cool. What little dust you got from the back will have no effect on the cooling. You need to remove the lower grill and vacuum it out. I made a new diagram for you with more detail. I labeled the parts and I show you where they are located.
Ref components.jpg

I can't get the grill off
If you don't tell me you have a problem I can't help you. Remove the water filter first. You don't need to shut the water off. The grill will come off if you pull the ends. It's held by two snaps/clips, one on each side. If you need to, use a screwdriver and put it between the top of the grill on the ends and the machine and pry it off.

I think that video might fix that problem but I don't want to mess anything up
That video is no help to you. For one, it's not even the same machine as yours and second your refrigerator doesn't have a defrost timer it uses adaptive defrost. So to answer your question, no that will not work for you. If you just want to keep replacing parts until one fixes it without checking them first, that's fine, but that method will get very expensive, very fast.

Am I'm giving you too many things to check at one time? We can do it one at a time if that will be better for you. You tell me what you want to do.

LoveYou

Premium Member
You said " You can't fix your refrigerator until we know what's wrong with it. I can't tell you what's wrong with it until I know what's working and what's not working. I asked you to tell me what's working and what's not working in my first post. Is the evaporator fan working?- no answer yet. Is there any frost on the evaporator cover?- no answer yet. Is the compressor running hot?- no answer yet. Are the condenser coils packed with dust?- no answer yet "

Thanks for listing the possible problems out for me. The evaporator fan is working, there's no frost on the evaporator cover, the compressor is a little bit hot ( I'm not sure what temp is normal for a compressor) but not so hot that I have to remove my hand. I cleaned the condenser coils with a paint brush, as yes they were packed with dust. They're clean now.

LoveYou

Premium Member
frost near bottom of fridge.jpg

This frosted up vent thing is in my fridge, it's on the left side of the fridge and the freezer is behind it. I think there's a problem of airflow, like cool air isn't coming in because frost buildup is blocking the cool air from coming in?

LoveYou

Premium Member
I just took the vent thing off and the frost, well it was like a big block of ice that i hitting at. I stopped because I thought the ice was meant to be there, but this vent thing has vents so it's kinda confusing as to if i should hack away at the deep block of of ice or just leave it alone. The question is, is cool air suppose to flow through this thing or not?

LoveYou

Premium Member
How do I remove the part where the screw driver is? I think I posted a pic of that part near the start of this thread, how do I remove that part?

rename.jpg what type of screw is this?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Unplug the machine and use a hair dryer to defrost it. Between that and the dust you vacuumed out, you may have fixed it once you get it defrosted.

Your picture is too close I can't tell where that is.