• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Coldspot 106.74253400 freezer not so cold(force into defrost)

eric_1

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I recently noticed that my Kenmore Coldspot 106.74253400 freezer was not as cold as usual.

I removed the icemaker, as well as the back panel to reveal the Condenser, Defrost Heater and Evaporator assembly.
<O:p></O:p>
There was a tremendous amount of ice around all of the components, which I drained via a hairdryer. The drain worked properly as the tray under the fridge filled with the melted water.

Please help me with the next steps to determine if the Defrost Heater, Timer and/or Thermostat are causing the ice build-up. I am unsure where to locate the timer and thermostat but I have located the defrost heater.
<O:p></O:p>
Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jeff has a good troubleshooting guide for starters here: [url]http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html[/URL]

Your model has the Adaptive defrost control board, located in your temp. control console assembly, #4 here in your parts diagram here:

K0312019-00002.jpg

If you take off your kick-plate, you should see the service sheet just behind it, it should tell you the steps to force it into defrost.

Jake

eric_1

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

I found the instructions and they say:

Option # 1 Steps (BI-METAL CLOSED)
#1 - Power off to refrigerator for a least 30 seconds
#2 - Thermostat off
#3 - Power on th refrigerator

OR

Option # 2 Steps (BI-METAL CLOSED)
#1 - Thermostat Off 15 Seconds
#2 - Thermostat on 5 Seconds
(Repeat #1 and #2 two more times)
#3 - Thermostat Off

Before I try this... How do I know if the BI-METAL is Closed? How do I turn the thermostat off and on?

Thx

eric_1

Premium Member
I just realized that if I turn the Left temperature Knob inside the fridge, there is an "Off" marking. Is this what it means to turn the thermostat off?

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
If your freezer is cold, the bimetal should be closed. Your unit may have a pig tail harness with a brown and pink wire encased in it( inside the control assembly in fridge). If so, check that for continuity with a meter. If it's open and your freezer's cold, you have a failed bi metal

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
eric_1 said:
I just realized that if I turn the Left temperature Knob inside the fridge, there is an "Off" marking. Is this what it means to turn the thermostat off?

Yes, thats correct.:)

Jake

eric_1

Premium Member
Definitely not working!

OK, after defrosting the freezer and crossing my fingers, 2.5 weeks later the temp dropped again and the ice and snow returned. I have attached a picture of the freezer.

I defrosted once more and 24 hours later, I checked the freezer and was ready to troubleshoot. However, when I opened up the freezer this time the Defrost heater was on (very hot!), there was no ice or snow build up and the freezer was draining fine.

I am at a loss. Where should I turn next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

eric_1

Premium Member
I'm finally conviced...

I defrosted the fridge one more time and two weeks later I have the ice/snow build up. Is the adapative defrost control board the only part I need, or do I need anything else (e.g. thermostat)? It seems like it take about 2 weeks for the thing to break down.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the adapative defrost control board the only part I need
Yes.:)

Jake

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Personally, I'd go after the defrost bimetal in this particular model first to see if it's bad.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Eric.:)

Jake

schmidtdog

Premium Member
I know this is an old post but I seem to have the same problem. Freezer is cold. I tested the pink and brown wires and i get nothing on my meter. I'm assuming this means that its open. Am I correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I know this is an old post but I seem to have the same problem. Freezer is cold. I tested the pink and brown wires and i get nothing on my meter. I'm assuming this means that its open. Am I correct?

Was the defrost thermostat frosty when you ohm tested it?

It has to be frosty to get a proper reading.

Jake

schmidtdog

Premium Member
No it wasn't frosty when I checked it. One other thing I noticed my refrigerator doing is it clicks 5 or 6 times in a row about a second apart and the light dims when it clicks.

Thanks for replying Jake.

Jim

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the overload on the compressor is clicking off when the compressor tries to start. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the cover over the mnachine compartment. Is the compressor and condensor fan motor running?

schmidtdog

Premium Member
The fan is running but the compressor is very hot to the touch. If a humming noise is what the compressor makes then its running. also, if the compressor wasn't working I wouldn't have ice buildup in the freezer, would I? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Can you give me your model number? Read it from the tag on the machine. If you could also take a picture of the evaporator coils and frost build up on them, then post it here, I would like to see the frost pattern. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. Compressors that run hot to very hot usually indicates a problem. After you get a picture of the frost pattern on the evaporator, unplug the machine and remove the overload/relay/start device from the side of the compressor. You might have to remove a bail wire to get it off. Shake it and see if it rattles. If it does, it's bad and needs to be replaced. You could also have a sealed system problem but I might be able to tell when I see the frost pattern. So start with the model number. I need your model number to look it up: Help Me Find My Model Number - RepairClinic.com .