• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Coldspot icemaker door/flap stuck open

dgr321

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side refrigerator, Model #106.59422801. The ice maker door is stuck open. There does not appear to be any ice blocking the flap but is is stuck open leaving about an 1-1.5 inch opening between to freezer and the outside. Any ideas on where to start to troubleshoot this? How do I get the ice maker/water dispenser assembly apart?
(unit manufactured in 4/2010)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you need a new ice door kit.

The front dispenser frame assembly just pops off, look underneath the bottom of the lower dispenser frame, you will see 2 small slots, you then use a screwdriver to pop it off.

If you don't see the 2 small slots, then remove your trip tray and you should see a couple of screws you can remove.

Here's the ice door kit for your model you can order here(there is also a video in this link):
Whirlpool 8201649 Ice Door Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

dgr321

Premium Member
I got the front cover off and found that one of the support brackets holding the door pin is cracked/broken and the pin popped out. So it looks like I need item #1 on the diagram. What is the part number for this? Is it possible to get that part alone or does it come with a kit? There are some wires that go through a hole in the top of this piece is there a wire harness connector on the other side to disconnect the entire wire bundle?

I'm trying super glue on the bracket right now since I have it apart but do not expect success. Anybody have any luck with a fix that does not involve replacement of the entire assembly?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dgr321

Premium Member
Bought the kit and and installed it today and the ice dispenser is back in operation. The job took about 1 hour or so. The instructions that come with the kit could use some improvement so I referenced some other notes, pictures and videos that I found on the web while I was going through the installation process. One that helped was youtube video of just the flapper replacement only. This helped with removal of the outer molding and also the final installation of the new flapper.

Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that fixed it.:)

Jake