• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator 106.58963700 Water Valve Leaking (NOT SOLENOID)

Sadiebuc

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Serial number (SU0637497)

I am looking for the part number of kenmore coldspot 106.58963700. I was given a part number for the solenoid and ordered it. When I got the part I realized the solenoid is back inside the fridge and there is a valve that connects the water line to the solenoid.

The solenoid is blue like the one below, but the water valve is green. I can't seem to find the part anywhere. I have seen others suggest "similar" parts that perform the same function but I am not sure I am good enough to retrofit an appliance part. The recommended parts have two outputs but this one only has one. I think at best I can replace the same part.

1622589993352.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Read the model number off the model tag, Kenmore model numbers look like: xxx . xxxxxxx

rickgburton

Staff member
Whirlpool no longer makes that old style water valve with the screw on compression type connection and replaced it with this one.
whirlpool-water-inlet-valve-w10408179-ap5263471_01_l.jpg

This is a much better valve and uses john guest connections. It's easier to install than the original valve. I'll walk you through it:

Remove the water lines and wire connectors from the old valve. Remove the cabinet mounting screws holding the valve to the machine.

You're going to keep the supply line part of the valve. Separate the two brackets:
Snapshot_6.jpg

If the water lines have the compression style fittings, use a razor blade and cut the fitting and line about 1" behind the fitting.

Connect the wire connectors to the new valve solenoids and connect the 3 water lines to the new water valve by pushing the water line into the valve as far as it will go. To remove the water line, hold the collar against the valve and pull the line out
Quick connect.jpg

Line up the bracket from the part you saved with the new water valve bracket and attach it the cabinet.

There's a self-help video in the part link.

Run about 2 gallons of water through the dispenser when you're done.

Sadiebuc

Premium Member
Thanks! I will order and give you an update. If I get it working, you can confidently tell others ANYONE can do it :)

Sadiebuc

Premium Member
But wait, there are two plastic pieces... the solenoid (I think) and the water valve. I am only replacing the water valve right? Or does the new part replace both the old parts.

Sadiebuc

Premium Member
To clarify, this is the part that is leaking...

1622637749522.png

Do I possibly need this part...

My concern is that the part I am replacing has one inlet and one outlet. The part you are recommending seems to have two outs. I assume one for ice and one for water dispenser

rickgburton

Staff member
To clarify, this is the part that is leaking...
Oh :poop: , I wish you would have circled that part in the first pic! :3: ...... Go to one of the home centers and pick up a ¼" X ¼" compression coupler with a couple brass inserts (kit) and a roll of teflon tape.
quarter inch coupler w-inserts.jpg

Remove the two nuts on the coupler an wrap the threads with a piece of teflon tape one or two turns. Unscrew the copper water line from the valve and connect it to one end of the coupler. Use a razor blade and cut the plastic water line with a straight cut about an inch behind the nut. At this point you can pull the brackets apart and get rid of that part of the valve or leave it on. It doesn't matter.

Take the water line you just cut off and push it through one of the new nuts. Push one of the brass inserts into the end of the water line. Push the water line as far as it will go into the coupler and tighten the nut. Do not over tighten.

quarter inch coupler.jpg