• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator 106.58973700 - Icemaker not working

LarisaJoy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I'm stuck because we've tried the things mentioned in other older threads. The ice maker stopped working for no apparent reason a few weeks ago. Since then, we completely defrosted the freezer to make sure there was nothing blocking the water line. I used a straw to put warm water up the black fill tube. We replaced the optics - lights blink as they should, and then we replaced the icemaker itself last night. Still no ice. I just tried manually filling the ice tray with water and I'm going to see if the arm cycles ones the water freezes.

The water dispenser works fine, with no issues, so water is getting to the fridge.

Any more suggestions?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
LarisaJoy said:
we replaced the icemaker itself last night.

The icemaker needs to be below 15°F for some time before it will initiate making ice so make sure the freezer is cold enough and the icemaker has had time to cool sufficiently.

Has anyone tested the icemaker side of the water fill valve?

LINK > Kenmore 106.58973700 Dual Water Fill Valve

LINK > Appliance411: How do I test a water fill valve?

Lastly, depending on access to the icemaker, it may be possible to initiate simulating operation of the icemaker's water valve using the I/M test procedures at the following link.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic : Whirlpool 'Modular' Icemaker

Dan O.

LarisaJoy

Premium Member
Hi - so we replaced the water fill valve, and nothing. I then defrosted the freezer for a few hours and within about an hour of turning it back on, we got a tray of ice. We got about 2-3 more trays and then it stopped again. We've now replaced the icemaker module, the water valve and the optics. I'd like to replace the line from the water valve to the freezer, but I can't find any information online on how to do that. Where the line goes into the freezer at the top rear of the refrigerator, it goes through a white square that is heavily glued to the back of the refrigerator. Short of buying a new refrigerator, I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There is a repair video for that part at the following link. The video may not be for your exact fridge model but may give you an idea what needs to be done on your model.

LINK > Kenmore 106.58973700 Washer Supply Line

The part at the link is the one used on your fridge but could be used on other refrigerator models as well.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
But if the problem is the water line freezing and you're already replaced the fridge's water valve, I'd suggest first someone look at the water valve on the house water pipe.

water-valve-mounting-375x375-watermark-png.44459

If a saddle valve was used and/or any valve mounted on the under side of the house water pipe, that valve could have become clogged with lime and scale, etc. hampering water flow resulting in reduced water pressure. Low water pressure to the fridge's water valve can allow continued dribbling through the water system leading to ice forming in the pipe to the icemaker. It eventually creates a total blockage.

Dan O.

LarisaJoy

Premium Member
Thanks for the link - that was exactly the video I was trying to find. The line is clear - we ran both air and water through it without any issue. I really don't know what else to try as to why the icemaker is not working. Our valve is set up like the one marked "preferred" in the lower right corner of the picture you posted.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Which line is clear? Going directly to the icemaker?

Our valve is set up like the one marked "preferred" in the lower right corner of the picture you posted.

That's good but its aperture could still becomes partially plugged with sediment and hamper water flow through it especially if it is oriented in a different direction. That valve is much more likely then the line in the fridge itself being the problem. In fact, the only time I know of that tubing needing to be replace is if it was cracked, broken or leaking.

What is the actual temperature in the freezer when the icemaker is malfunctioning?

Dan O.