• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator 106.73852302 Defrost

kenmorecoldspot

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi, I currently have a top freezer Kenmore Coldspot 106.73852302 that is building up frost on the back plate of the freezer. I'm attempting to force a defrost cycle to pinpoint the issue however I am having a hard time finding instructions on how to do so. It looks like this model has the defrost module integrated within the ice maker, could anybody tell me if that is inaccurate or if accurate, how I would be able to force a defrost cycle? It looks like the ice maker is held up by hexagon bolts as well, will I need a special tool if I need to take out the ice maker?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a 2003 model and it uses a electronic defrost circuit board. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

What you will want to do is a forced defrost cycle and see if the defrost heater comes on. Feel for heat at the bottom of the evaporator coil, behind the back panel inside the freezer.

Here's the steps to do it, you have 2 options:
Screenshot 2021-08-25 18.11.59.png

If the defrost heater comes on, then your defrost thermostat and defrost heater are good, that would just leave the electronic defrost circuit board as the culprit.

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Attachments

• wiringsheet-2225762-reva.pdf
    487 KB · Views: 29

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I should have actually confirmed the OP's statement about the I/m. I deleted the incorrect response.

Dan O.

kenmorecoldspot

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Quick question, when the tech sheet says "Thermostat Off/On" in the steps, is there a switch for me to do so? Also I'm assuming when the instructions say Power Off/On, it as simple as pulling the cord and plugging it back in?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I should have actually confirmed the OP's statement about the I/m. I deleted the incorrect response.

Dan O.
No worries Dan.:)

Quick question, when the tech sheet says "Thermostat Off/On" in the steps, is there a switch for me to do so? Also I'm assuming when the instructions say Power Off/On, it as simple as pulling the cord and plugging it back in?
The temperature control thermostat, you know where you rotate the temperature control setting knob?

Yes, Power OFF/ON means to unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet, then plug it back in for Power ON.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

kenmorecoldspot

Premium Member
Since there are two temperature control knobs, I'm assuming I have to rotate them both at the same time or just the freezer knob? They also only have settings from 1 (cold) to 5 (coldest), is assuming 1 = off and anything higher than 1 = on, correct as well?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The knob that says OFF should be the freezer knob.:)

Just the freezer knob.:)

Option 1--->Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet for 30 seconds, Turn freezer knob to OFF, Plug the refrigerator back into the wall outlet. Then it should be in the defrost cycle, feel for heat at the bottom of your evaporator coil.

The evaporator coil is located inside the freezer behind the back panel.

Jake